Re: What are the standard abbreviations for colors in electronics? IE. R = RED.

> >Gary Morris wrote:

> >>J. Zeigler wrote: > >>> Jack Yazel wrote: > >>> > > >>> > 0 = Black > >>> > 1 = Brown > >>> > 2 = Red > >>> > 3 = Orange > >>> > 4 = Yellow > >>> > 5 = Green > >>> > 6 = Blue > >>> > 7 = Violet > >>> > 8 = Grey > >>> > 9 = White > >> > The way the standard colors were taught to me back in Aviation > Electrical Military school (1985) (this pertains to resistors) was: > Black (Black) 0 > Boys (Brown) 1 > Rape (Red) 2 > Our (Orange) 3 > Young (Yellow) 4 > Girls (Green) 5 > But (Blue) 6 > Violet (Violet) 7 > Gives (Gray) 8 > Willingly (White) 9 > Get (Gold) 5% > Some (Silver) 10% > Now (No Color) 20% > Albeit, far from politically correct, but easy to remember > nonetheless. > > JJ

I guess a lot changed between 1975 and 1981. In my 1975 US Navy BEE school they gave us the cheat sheet below. This chart pertains to any number of co lor coded electronics, not only resistors, but also computer cards like tho se found in the UNIVAC 1219. My classmates were of all nationalities and ra ces. We had Israelis, Iranians and Kenyans in out classes all together. Anyone remember the transistor theory BECky VOPINI AZAZA chart? You can dra w it in your mind.

0 = BLK > Bad 1 = BRN > Boys 2 = RED > Race 3 = ORN > Our 4 = YEL > Young 5 = GRN > Girls 6 = BLU > Behind 7 = VIO > Victory 8 = GRY > Garden 9 = WHT > Walls

Gold, Silver, and None were pretty obvious, who needs a cheat for that?

Reply to
John King

I don't think there is a standard. One tries to avoid ambiguous abbreviations like Bl for blue and black.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

The version I learned about 1969 is actually suitable for mixed company and as a bonus it's closer to the truth:

Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I know several. But the OP wasn't asking about color code, he was asking about color abbreviations. R for Red; G for Green etc.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

(feigns shock) *Oh no!* I've been engaging in thread drift! Horrors! (recovers composure)

BITD usually BLK BRN RED ORG YEL GRN BLU VIO GRY WHT.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs