Use resistor instead of regulator?

I can put a resistor after a voltage that's too high for the circuit?

Of course the resistor must handle the current.

A decoupling capacitor after the resistor.

Any problems with that?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

If the capacitor is needed there probably are problems.

In the spirit of your question that is all I will say.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

If your load has a variable current draw, then you will also have a variable voltage on the load side of the resistor.

Reply to
Rich

No, the size of the capacitor simply determines the rate at which the voltage changes. Given a current draw change of sufficient length in time (length determined by capicator size), the voltage across the capacitor will settle to that which remains after the new drop across the resistor.

Wire up a test circuit on a breadboard and measure the changes yourself.

Reply to
Rich

No, the correct answer is "no". The voltage variation can be substantial. Rate of change is a different measure than voltage magnitude.

Note that I could ask you the same question. My answer is correct, yours is incorrect.

Reply to
Rich

That appears to be Mr Doe's signal that he has switched into troll mode.

If you read through the first few posts in this thread, you'll see that Mr Doe is indeed quite capable of proper quoting. But once he appears to get ticked off, he toggles into troll mode and starts quoting excessive header information (and top posting as well).

He seems to have a very Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde aspect to his postings.

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri

The appearance on this end of "why" looks to be: "to be irritating".

The appearance given out, when the pattern happens, is that the Mr Hyde personality half of Mr Doe does it for the purpose of irritation of the poster to which Mr Doe has chosen to "troll".

There seems to be no advantage. Other than to overtely be irritating.

Except that when Mr Doe is operating from his Dr Jeckyl personality half, he is quite capable of proper quoting, quote trimming, avoiding quoting headers, and bottom posting. Implying he can write a macro to do a proper post.

There are at least two explanations for this:

One - Mr Doe has a proper voice activated macro that can quote properly and bottom post -- which implies that the header quoting top posting Mr Hyde personality is a deliberate choice on his part.

Two - Mr Doe only uses his voice activated macro when trolling. Which is, again, a deliberate choice on his part when the Mr Hyde personality is activated.

Both boil down to deliberate choices on Mr Doe's part.

So I submit that he deliberatly chooses the top posting, header quoting, Mr Hyde version to be irritating to the person to which he is responding.

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri

Generally your mangled posts consist entirely of untruths. (with the exception of the quoted part), this one seems to have some truth however.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to