Re: International standards (2023 Update)

Hmm. I suddenly got worried about my aging memory banks, so I just pulled down the SN74HC595 datasheet from TI. It says +/-6mA output drive at 5V on the front page! I think that's where I got my 5-6mA figure -- it stuck in my mind that way.

It also gives an absolute package maximum of 70mA continuous and a continuous output maximum of 35mA. But, as they also say, operating at these absolute ratings is wrong-minded -- they are only to tell what maximum stress they can tolerate before being damaged, not operate.

Did I miss something, then?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Ah, now this curve is what I couldn't find on the datasheet.

Thanks!

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Tthat would still leave some rather broad band noise from where the high pass begins up through "daylight," yes? How hard is a simple bandpass, anyway?

But what crosses my mind is that the input picks up 50Hz too easily, perhaps. Using a resistor divider (and an 'HP' capacitor) at the input might help. Something like:

+V | \ / 2M 1uF \ || | ,-----||-------+-+--> first gain stage | || | --- \ | | receiving / 2M --- transducer \ | | gnd gnd

Just a thought.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

It seems that the output ripple is almost as bad as the input ripple, take a look at my simulation results

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/sim1.gif

Either something is wrong, or this circuit goes to the bin.

??

Reply to
little billy

....I mean between gate and drain.

Reply to
Peter

Ah, but what about using the display on a standard VGA output? What does that involve?

including

know

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Richard

Hello my dear half baked engineers of this thread. I am afraid you were all wrong. I wonder, shall I tell, or shall I let you burn some more midnight oil over this one?

Reply to
little billy

Reply to
Rok Sitar

Sure. Try something simple like this first.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

IS your light string attached to the source, or the drin?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I heard of an emitter follower, but what is a power follower?

I found this circuit in page 15 of the lm317 manual

little billy

Return it for full refund. That would be a good start.

It's probably easiest to grap a jack footprint and save it under a new part name in a library of your own where a reinstall won't wipe it out and then edit it.

Something tells me you're not going to find many EWB users around. I might remember one user who didn't bad mouth EWB, but he's probably commited suicide by now.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

The subject says it all. Anybody know? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Dunno. I'm spoiled.

You might get away with Orcad (cadence) Layout. You can get a student version and I don't think the limitations will hurt you. I don't recall the Layout limitations.

The overlay you refer to is know as the silkscreen layer. You can also do an outline layer and create custom layers.

Terry Pinnel has a page on CAD programs you should check. If he doesn't chime in soon, I think the URL is something like

and part of that googled ought to return the URL if I'm wrong.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

The diode across the inductor will see a peak current almost equal to the current at the moment the mosfet turns off. However, the current falls with something like an L/R time constant, with L being the inductance of the coil and R being its resistance. So the diode does not need to be rated for the continuous current in the coil, though it should have a surge current rating well above the peak current it will pass. A 3 amp rectifier should be fine.

Note that adding this diode will also lengthen the time that current passes through the coil by the same L/R time constant. Is this a problem?

--
John Popelish
Reply to

I think so.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

--
Like a wart is a protuberance on your skin, a wall wart is a
protuberance from a wall.

I'm hoping someone can give a noob some direction here. I've started designing a pcb using electronics workbench and am a bit confused on how to get past where I am.

I'm trying to create a component for a lumberg part (2415_01, 1502_01 and

2410_01) which are upright (vertical) usb, IEEE1394 and 2.5mm jack connectors. When creating a new component it gives me a option of choosing a standard footprint. I can't find a listing of these and I find one that works with this. I also can't see where to create a new footprint.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks,

Reply to
James

A good rule of thumb is to make sure the current rating of the diode exceeds the current going through the inductor when it's on. If you can, choose a diode with a Peak Reverse Voltage (PRV) rating twice the voltage across the inductive load when it's on. I would guess you're using 12 or 10AWG wire (30 amp) to the load. A similar size gauge going to the diode would definitely be helpful, if you can.

I'd be a little more concerned about the turn-off for the FET. It looks like you've got a driver that will turn on the FET quickly, but turn it off slowly with the 10K pulldown. You might want to modify that.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064