positive and negative 12 V dc from a +12V dc signal?

I'm looking for methods to obtain positive and negative 12 volt signals from a single positive 12 v signal (simultaneously, not simply reversing the polarity).

I'm specifically looking for a circuit design and an explanation of how the circuit works.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
davidd31415

When you say \'signal\', do you mean something which only has two
states;  +12V and 0V,  and that when it\'s at +12V the other signal is
at -12V  and that when it\'s at 0V the other signal is at 0V?
Reply to
John Fields

Since you already have +12V, you really just need to get -12V. A smps chip, along with a bit of supporting circuitry, can do that rather easily; the idea is to, first allow, and then to stop current through an inductor. When you suddenly stop the current feeding the inductor, the magnetic field created by the current induces current to continue to flow. This generates a big negative voltage spike, which, if captured using a diode, can be used to create a -12V supply rail. Feedback controls the oscillator which is alternatly starting and stopping the current, and thus the output is regulated.

However, rather than have me describe it to you, look at the linear site for inverting regulators here:

Regards,
  Bob Monsen
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Another possibility is that Dave means 'supply', not 'signal'.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK