Need help with a Resistor calculation please

I have this question and I am wondering if someone can tell me the formula and how they derived the answer (steps) - it is probably simple, but I am learning this as I go :

Electronic

1) A simple circuit consists of a current limiting resistor in series with an LED across a supply voltage of 5VDC. The forward voltage drop is 1.5VDC and the forward current is 10mA. The series resistor would have a value of: a=2E 1k=CE=A9 b=2E 500=CE=A9 c=2E 350=CE=A9 d=2E 100=CE=A9
Reply to
David De

To answer this you need to know the voltage across the resistor. From the equation R=V/I if you know any two, you can calculate the third.

The voltage across the resistor will be the supply voltage less the LED's forward voltage = 5 - 1.5V = 3.5V

See Kirchoff's Laws for an analysis of this.

's_circuit_laws

The resistor value can now be calculated from R=V/I = 3.5/0.01 = 350 (ohms).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

e. do your own homework.

Hint: V = I * R

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Electronic

1) A simple circuit consists of a current limiting resistor in series with an LED across a supply voltage of 5VDC. The forward voltage drop is 1.5VDC and the forward current is 10mA. The series resistor would have a value of: a. 1k? b. 500? c. 350? d. 100?

-----ooooo-----

The answer is c.350. I did it in my head...it's the sort of mental arithmetic that we were taught to do in Junior (Pre age 11) school in Britland.

This is the way it works.....If there is 1.5V drop across the LED, then there must be 5 -1.5 = 3.5V across the resistor and at 10mA with R=V/I that is a resistor of...

3.5/0.01 = 350.

(Where 10mA is 0.01A)

Reply to
Anonymous.

Reply to
David De

You got your answer but did you understand the math and theory that was applied?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I don't understand what the crap above is?, maybe my reader didn't decode it properly? But for the most part. R = (5-1.5)/0.010 = 350

and so on and so on..

Ok, Now do the rest of your home work.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5