Nano Spring Cap/Batteries/Explosives

Stretched carbon nano tubes store energy at the same ratio to weight as liquid fuel. Considering the mass of the air or O2 necessary for combustion of the liquid fuel it's more than 3X higher.

Because the energy density could be one or more orders of magnitude higher than anything possible with a fuel - air explosion the biggest problem might be making sure nothing ever failed with a battery larger than a few micrograms when people were around.

The release of heat alone would make it impossible to limit the explosion to one part of the battery.

Would it be possible to stretch or compress carbon nano tubes or similar perfect atomic scale structures electronically while not adding too much weight or volume to the design?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Sounds like we could fly the equivalent of runner-band-powered airplanes.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If anything went wrong -- electrical, mechanical or electro mechanical versions -- the release of heat would detonate the rest of the battery and release _all_ of the energy all at once destroying everything anywhere nearby.

Without combustion, high density energy storage should be considered a daunting in not impossible problem.

Bret Cahill

ed text -

Reply to
Bret Cahill

"runner"-band-powered? See! I told you that Larkin was the one becoming senile, not me ;-) ...Jim Thompson

So now you are my spell-checker. Little old ladies like to do that, but they usually join the teachers' union first.

Why don't you try to design a good fast current source? I can send you a copy of AoE to get you started on fundamentals.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Cretin. Where's the one you claimed your wonderful success... that you swore you would show? Sweating to find something that doesn't show that you obviously copied Bartoli's work ?:-) You probably have your paeans working overtime this weekend to help the "boss" escape scrutiny. ...Jim Thompson

Probably not.

The only thing that'll work is combustion.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

That's what airplanes do now.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've posted a bunch of current source circuits. My latest was the small-geometry pfet with a bootstrapped resistor in its drain, which I think is pretty cute.

So far, you've whined a lot and posted nothing. I don't think you can any more.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Anything" going wrong meant a tiny fraction of the battery or cap., not an entire fuel tank getting demolished in a high speed crash that would kill everyone onboard anyway.

The only solution, however, would need to be something like an aircraft dumping fuel before a crash.

The structure must be designed with holes everywhere so any energy releasing area will always fling itself free of the rest of the battery/cap and at worst only take small nearby areas with it.

That way it could have thousands of nano failures/ second and only an outside containment vessel would get warm.

The escape holes might lower energy density to the point of being self defeating so it's probable some kind of low or high temp. combustion will always be involved in most personal transportation.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill