Low voltage relay question

If your current values for your loads includes the initial inrush, then I think you'll be fine. But I am worried that the strobe light includes a big capacitor that will suck lots of current for a few milliseconds, right while those contacts are bouncing to a stop, and that will eat the contacts. I think I would look for a 3 to 5 amp contact rated relay. That are pretty common. Or drive two of these in parallel and use one for the horn and one for the strobe.

Reply to
John Popelish

Still a newbie so please bear with me....

I have this 12VDC alarm panel that limits the siren output draw to

110mA. As this is not adequate for me, I replaced the siren with a beefier model that draws 750mA and added a small strobe light that draws 150 mA...so 900mA total draw.

I rigged a small relay to separate the alarm circuit from the new siren/strobe...this one here:

I also got a 1000mA rated wall wart to power the new setup. My question is that since I'm pretty close to the maximum draw rating of both the power supply and the relay...will the relay get hot and burn? The circuit will only be in use for 12 minutes maximum and then the alarm panel resets, but I really can't run the siren for 12 minutes to test it.

What do you all think, should I be OK with this setup for intermittant use?

Reply to
AB

Are we talking just a ruined relay here or a possible fire risk?

Reply to
AB

No fire. Just the possibility of a welded contact that won't release.

Reply to
John Popelish

Mr. Popelish has been steering you in the right direction. Since you're at Radio Shack, try their 12VDC 10A DPDT relay Model: 275-217 with socket Model: 275-220. This will do the job -- it will reliably work for you.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I think that is the part number for a relay socket. I think the 10 amp relay with 30 mA coil current is 275-248.

Reply to
John Popelish

You're right 275-248 is the relay he should use.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thank everyone for (once again) great advice. I couldn't have done any of this before hanging out here. Bob

Reply to
AB