general questions

two questions:

*) where can one read proofs of circuit-theoretic theorems (Thevenin, Superposition, etc)?

*) can an fm receiver be substantially simplified (ie: simplified to the point where even a chucklehead like me can eventually comprehend it) if the thing is designed to receive only a single station?

thanks, stm

ps: a paper on my webpage

summarizes what i've been able to puzzle out regarding the ac differential equations. my fantasy is that someone will look at it and be able to tell me what i'm missing (or where i'm simply out-to-lunch, if such is the case)

peace, stm

Reply to
Sean McIlroy

I just typed "thevenin proof" in Google and got pages of good info.

Not sure without knowing the level of your chuckleheadedness.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I seem to recall some really simple FM receiver circuits using tunnel diodes, back in the '60s and '70s. Then tunnel diodes vanished from the face of the earth, apparently sucked up by alien space ships. I guess they were afraid that if humans ever figured out how tunnel diodes really worked, we'd be able to challenge their galactic supremacy...

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

But that tunnel diode didn't do anything magic. The design that comes immediately to mind was the one in the GE semiconductor book, where the tunnel diode was a converter stage down to a very low IF, where a pulse counting detector sat. Even if the thing you remember used the tunnel diode in some other capacity, chances are really good that all kind of other devices could be used for the same purpose.

The previous question seems to be about understanding the circuit, not finding a simple circuit to build. Two different things. A block diagram is far better for understanding, because then the basics can be introduced, without the "clutter" of all those parts or the "clutter" of what amounts to minor variations from specific design to specific design. Looking at specific designs will only sidetrack things, "well why does this one use that tube and that one another tube?" when really one needs to see the common points first to interpret the rest.

That GE tunnel diode receiver is no different from the average FM broadcast receiver, if you use a simple enough set of block diagrams. Understand the conversion process, and why it is done, and then the concept of an IF strip, and then a bit about FM demodulation, and then that can be applied to that simple GE tunnel diode receiver or that fancy stereo receiver. When you understand what is suppoed to happen in an FM receiver, then it helps to interpret a specific design.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

Close!, They didn't want us getting into their cable network and getting free Alien Cable shows!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie