design of high voltage transfomer for discharge lamp igniters

Hi,

I need to design a transformer with the following specification: -

  1. It needs to generate high voltage pulses necessary for igniting a discharge lamp. The pulse height is typically of the order of 3.5KV and above.
  2. These high voltage pulses need to be superimposed onto the input sine wave

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reply to
kfel

What's wrong with buying an igniter transformer off the shelf?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

do you have a schematic already of the circuit your building? I repair concert lighting equipment that uses discharge lamps. I can tell you, the transformer is a ballast and the high voltage igniter circuit basically momentarily pulse shorts the ballast transformer to cause a high voltage spark across the lamp. once the lamp fires, the ballast limits the current to the designed current. This operates much the same as a florescent lamp only much higher currents. The 2nd option is to use an electronic ballast type that the power supply regulates the voltage and current to match the lamp. THe igiter is an external high voltage "kicker" device.

which type are you trying to build so we can help further?

-eric

Reply to
ericwhit

--
LOL, it\'s for a discharge lamp, Homey, not a furnace!
Reply to

What i needed was help on designing an transformer coil for a superimposed igniter and not a ballast to be used in series with the discharge lamp.

Reply to
kfel

Would one of these help you?

Good Luck! Rich