can telephone noise dial 911?

And trees, brushes and underground wire is exactly what we have around here in abundance. Sounds reasonable to me. The strange thing is that there really wasn't that much rain or wind two weeks ago, whereas this weekend the remnants of Ernesto came through and dumped over 2 inches of rain in 24 hours and the phone lines didn't flinch. Weird.

Reply to
Dave Gower

See what happens when you're too cheap to buy a DTMF phone?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

from my experience, the crackles and whistles tend to go away in really wet weather - I suppose the soaked oxide is a better conductor than dry oxide, haven't really looked into the why's & wherefore's?

Has your phone line been "noisy" for a while? Usually the other end won't hear it or it might be heard very faintly.

Reply to
feebo

re: can your phone phantom dial 911?

This also happened to a friend of mine. There was a problem with the phones, it may have been storm or water related but I can't remember. Anyway, they believe what happened was that the 'smart' phone defaulted to dialing 911 when it determined that there was a problem with the line.

Reply to
Noway2

When my phone line was acting badly, it was dropping out and receiving KRLD like it was a radio tuned to that channel. After it was looked at, I was told that the installer had merely wound my wire around the lug rather than securing it under the nut in the equipment box 1/4 mile away.

Reply to
Lord Garth