Any speaker experts here?

IIRC hard drawn copper wire is more resistive than annealed by a few percent. But don't quote me on that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Seems like an easy experiment, I was hoping to try it, but no time today.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not a really a bad idea, it seems many here don't understand the properties of spun metal.

The nature of spinning is that you're going to end up with some sort of shell of rotation, you can make all manner of spheroids dome-ended cylinders, these should all prove to be rigid under the pressure and mechanical waves the driver will produce, much more rigid than a wooden box.

You'll still need to line the enclosure to absorb echoes, and this will probably be a bit more difficult than with a box as the lining material comes in sheets

On the up side you can also produce all sorts of horns.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

from experience working with 36 Awg, expect ranges of 10-20%

Reply to
RobertMacy

how about tracking the change in legnth?

thick wire: for a 5% increase in length there is an accompanying 5% decrease in area [volume remains the same], then you'd get 5% increase in resistance.

let us know results of experiment.

Reply to
RobertMacy

OK I'll give it a whirl. (but I'm thinking 5% length change will lead to ~10% resistance change.) (R = rho*Length/Area) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

the volume has to stay the same, so the single other dimension, area, will reduce in proportion. 10% longer, means 10% less area.

That was my thinking.

Or, more likely than stretching, the @#$!@#$ manufacturers just used less copper! :)

Reply to
RobertMacy

NOW I GET IT!

10% longer AND 10% less area is 1.1/.9, approximately 20% change in R

let us know what you find!

Reply to
RobertMacy

OK here are the results: I had a piece of 20 AWG (nomial resistance of 10.1 milli Ohm/ft.) I sent 1 amp through 152 inches and measured 132.62 mV (about 10.5 milli-ohm/ft)

Length Resistance predicted resistance (milli ohms) (from area decrease length increase.)

152" 132.63 154" 135.6 136 158" 143.93 143.3 162" 150.9 150.6

So the short anwser is that I see no real change in the resistance except for the topological effects.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

did you anneal the wire before you started?

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

THANKS

So, that explains why the impedance of my 36 Awg wire is waaay high AFTER carefully winding it! Also, why I got more turns on than expected. duh!

Reply to
RobertMacy

Nope, just took it off a spool. hmm how hot do I need to get it to anneal it?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

red hot. (gas flame etc)

you'll know when you're done becase it'll be much softer

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts