Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

QUESTION: What is a "locally active resistor"?
Hi all I came across the article on "Chua's circuit" in Wikipedia (at ). This circuit "exhibits classic chaos theory behavior" even though it is composed only of "standard components" (resistors,...
3
3

Blinking DC Christmas Lights
I bought a string of 10 DC, c-battery, power lights. Is there some device that can be connected into it to make the lights blink on and off? -- W. eWatson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std....
10
10

building microwind and microhydro generators
Looking for some tips on homemade microwind and microhydro generators. I have a site near the top of a mountain far from any power utilities. It is intended for camping trips and will end up with...
24
24

Frequency of Train Traffic v Interstate Traffic
The most heavily traveled rail lines are occupied by rolling rolling stock only 5% of the time. For most interstate traffic, at least near most cities, it's at least twice - 3X as high. This is...
3
3

A North American (USA) electrical code question
Greetings All, I've looked thgrough the NEC code book but have been unable to find my answer there. I'm sure it's there someplace but I can't find it. Anyway, in my wife's new shop she needs another...
4
4

Choice of a frequency and antenna for a wireless sensor
Hi, I'm currently designing a wireless weather station/generic sensor system (I know it can be bought for a fraction of what the components and time will cost me, but I'm doing it because it is fun.)....
10
10

Explain odd digital clock behavior?
Greetings All, I have a digital clock that's at least 25 years old. I also have a machine shop that uses a rotary phase converter to supply 3 phase power to the machines, some of which are CNC. The...
8
8

Humidifier !
There are many china brand of humidifier found in the market. The purpose of the humidifier is to add water to the air in the room. But such kind of product will not found in well know electrical...
3
3

Garage door opener
The photocell at the bottom of the door; the emitter and the receiver are connected to the same 2 terminals. How does it sense when it's blocked? How would one bypass the photocells?
2
2

Fluorescent heating
Most fluorescent lamps emit light in visible range. Is it possible to build a fluorescent lamp that emits light in the thermal infrared range? This would be thermal fluorescence and could be used as...
37
37

Increasing current handling of PWM motor controller
Hi, I have a nifty little motor controller for Arduino that can handle 12v DC motors up to about 1amp. I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the current handling ability by adding some...

ieee
send me jobs on ieee
4
4

Replacement for BC557B and 547B which can handle 1 Amp
Hi All I'm busy changing an existing circuit, but requires equivalents to the BC557B and BC547B which can handle up to a Max of 1 Amp switching current. I think the 547/557 can do max 200mA Any...
17
17

voltage regulator question adjustable voltage needed
Hello, ok, I'm looking at the datasheet for a 12V voltage regulator... LM340-12.... here's the datasheet: On the first page under Typical Applications theres a schematic titled: adjustable output...
18
18

Transformer winding insulation
Hello everyone, Am I correct in that the winding wire in a transformer is coated with a varnish that acts as an insulator? I've tried to find an answer to this by researching transformer construction,...
18
18