Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Voltage required
I have an external hard drive, taken from an older computer, in a Dick Smith external enclosure. During a move I got all the transformers mixed up and now I do not know whether this requires 12 volts...
3
3

Sampling Only When SNR Is Above Some Limit
In some situations the time periods when noise will be an issue are easy to identify. Instead of subtracting or filtering the noise you use a comparator to simply shut down the noisy signal until the...
2
2

Getting started with Switcher design
I've seen switching power supplies mentioned occasionally here. I'd like to learn about designing such power supplies: choice of controller chips, MOSFETs and inductors. I know about the principle of...
11
11

Supper Cooling Radion GPU in HP Pavilion tx2350ea Laptop - How to ?
Hi all, I have this Laptop which has given up the ghost immediately two days after its warranty expiring. To cut the long story short, I have ordered another mobo. The original heat sink method for...

can I run MC1496 (modulator) w/ 80MHz carrier?
Hi, for reference: Can I run this chip with an 80MHz carrier? I'm trying, but the output is very weak. The datasheet isn't clear to me. thanks!
1
1

Blowhards Sailing Downwind
There sure seems to be a lot of people in need of remedial reading-for-content involved in the thread about sailing downwind. First of all, in all the posts that I can stand to read, John Larkin is...
73
73

ltspice model for a kettle element !
Anyone like to suggest some improvements to my simulation of a relay switching a kettle element? I guessed at all values - the inductor value , no clue what that would be anyway Version 4 SHEET 1 880...
5
5

Digital Capacitor 1 Farad
I bought a digital 1 farad cap (ICBM-7244CRP) at a swap meet for $15 thinking I could sell it on ebay for a $30 or more. I'm not sure how it works since it has a 40 amp relay inside to disconnect the...
8
8

Portable Oscilloscope
The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The web page claims the newer models at least are low power or...
10
10

flashlight circuit
why the hell does my flashlight go dim, but when I knock it hard it gets bright again? What can I do to fix this? I don't understand what's going on here...
9
9

Scissors Appear On Plot On LT SPICE
Does this mean the circuit analysis requires too much computing power? It would be nice to get accurate phase angles and amplitudes as with simple circuits. Bret Cahill
1
1

Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux
In one of the posts about solder, somebody mentioned CVS Drug Store for 91% isopropyl alcohol. I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99 for 32 ounces. That's 20 cents more for double...
33
33

Solder flux and resistance
When testing a high impedance board (up to 1 G ohm) I found that the SMD 0805 10 Meg ohm resistors measured only 6 meg ohm. The problem was traced back to the liquid flux used with Rohs solder. (100...
6
6

Ohms law power problem
Using a 12 ohm load and 12 volt supply, what is the power gain when the voltage is raised to 12.1 volts? Considering the formula P=E^2/R the power at 12 volts will be 144/12 = 12 watts. And, at 12.1...
39
39

microwave
why microwave applications need devices with negative resistance?
9
9