Why spec analyzer over 2.5Ghz?

I am considering to buy one of the Spectran spectrum analyzers in this range:

I am aware of the many uses up to 2.5GHz, but what type of signal sources would I not be able to measure by not going for a 4, 6 or 8 GHz model?

I refer to the spectrum coverage here, not sensitivity which also seems to increase with each 100 or so euros.

BTW has anyone seen any product that is better value than these for the price?

Colin Style

Reply to
Colin Style

Why do you want to buy a spectrum analyzer? What do you want to measure with it? BTW also look at the start frequency of the spectrum analyzer.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hi Colin

How about a vector network analyzer (VNA)?:

Network analyzer (electrical):

Quote: "...An SNA is functionally identical to a spectrum analyzer in combination with a tracking generator..."

Links:

(PS: I have absolutely no experience with these products)

TAPR Vector Network Analyzer:

electronicspecifier.com: PC-based 3MHz to 3GHz Vector Network Analysers:

Glenn

.

My advice: Before you buy ANY spectrum analyzer, try to read the following two books:

Modern Spectrum Analyzer Theory and Applications Modern Spectrum Analyzer Measurements

While pricey, you can still get them on Amazon.

Both are authored by Morris Engelson, and IEEE Fellow and past president (or past vice-president?) of engineering at Tektronics, a leading manufacturer of high-performance spectrum analyzers. He goes to great lengths in the Theory & Applications book on exactly what SA specifications mean, what they DO NOT, and how to compare two analyzers that have differing specifications under real-world conditions. Morris used to give great seminars on the specification, selection and use of spectrum analyzers on real-world problems, but he may have now retired from such things...? His books, used in those seminars, are pure gold - in my opinion. . Here's a sample of what I'm talking about from his website:

-mpm

To answer your question, you can review Part-2, FCC Rules, to review US frequency allocations, etc... TV point-to-point microwave is often in the 7 GHz band, for example. That said, you should only buy what you really need - unless you are loaded with cash. These days, frequency range is much less important that a lot of the signal processing apps that are glommed onto the machine. It depends on what you do (or intend to do) with the instrument. You may find an analyzer dedicated to the task at hand is much more useful than a general purpose model that covers a great deal of spectrum.

Reply to
mpm

Hi Colin

Can you plainly tell what you intend to measure? Fun? Repair? Education? (Why?)

Reply to
Glenn

Hi Colin

There is also waterfall SA/receivers - real-time SA:

You simply drag the yellow filter over the frequency interval you want to hear...that is how easy a receiver is today ;-)

Press the button 160m, 80m, 40m...at your choice - if no other is using the receiver?

WebSDR at K7UEB the Walla Walla University Club Station:

Not on-line pt: WebSDR on nine bands:

A Brief Discussion of Some Software DSP Solutions I've tried:

Quote: "... DSP is an acronym for "Digital Signal Processing". Anytime an analog signal is converted to digital form and processed in some way, that is DSP. The use of DSP techniques in amateur radio is exploding, both in terms of its use in commercial transceivers and receivers, and in terms of homebrew hardware and software construction projects available to and undertaken by hams .... I have found that Linrad does an absolutely superb job of allowing me to hear the desired weak signal hidden in the midst of the all the noise and clutter present at my QTH. It does this better than any other receiving system I have ever tried. .... By clicking with the mouse cursor at any point on the waterfall .... IT IS POINT AND CLICK RECEIVING!!! .... If you want a different filter bandwidth or shape factor, you just take the mouse over to the baseband display, and drag the filter curve wider or narrower, and the filter adjusts graphically. THIS REALLY WORKS!! ...."

On-line VLF receiver (selected dynamic spectra):

-

Online Web Receivers:

Glenn

On 7 Maj, 16:40, Glenn wrote: ...

Wrong ;-)

Actually many users can simultaneously listen and change receiving frequencies.

You can even see what others are listening to.

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn