What exactly is this Rogers laminate?

I have never used any Rogers materials before, so it turned out hard to parse their product markings. There is a sheet of a microwave laminate here:

but what is that B0470M1035QB text? I would like to find a PDF for that material, but nothing in their selectors looks like that.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Am guessing that is an internal process tracking code; call it a "mouse" number that is not directly related to the final product in hand. Another batch of the same stuff would undoubtedly have a totally different code, and a rather different PCB type (say lower Dk, finer glass weave etc & etc) may have similar code. Today.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I couldn't find it either. I had to do that once for some other Rogers materials gotten at flea markets.

You can quickly narrow down the possibilities by measuring thickness, peeling some copper to look at the substrate, and measuring the dielectric constant. Knowing PTFE-loaded ceramic vs. random glass fibers vs. poly- for the substrate limits the search.

D.K. on the label means "dielectric constant," = 2.50 +/- 0.04. They only have one catalog material that matches.

Confusingly, the label says "UltraLam," but the UltraLam D.K. = 2.9.

This selector guide has all their products' characteristics:

Happy hunting! James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Duroid ?

boB

I sent them a question, but their autoresponded told me that the support office lady is on a leave. :-) But I'm in no hurry...

The "UltraLam" sticker suggests it belongs to either the UltraLam2000 or UltraLam3000 series, but a quick look at their list shows no substrate with D.k.=2.5 and there is one in the 2000 family.

For me it's totally crazy -- it isn't a noname random sheet of who knows what, but a branded high quality product equipped with a sticker, which doesn't suffice to identify it. I bet it's this one:

(D.k. in 2.4-2.6 +-0.04), but probably only Sherlock Holmes himself would be able to confirm that with full certainity... :-/

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

That looks like a winner. You can verify if it's woven glass/PTFE-- the weave is visible through the copper, and you can feel the PTFE with a fingernail where it's exposed on the edges. Also, PTFE/glass is pliable.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes James, I can clearly see the weave and the edge is much softer than that of FR-4. So it seems now I know what I have -- thanks all!

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski