WELLER soldering iron reliability?

80 watts.

the

Now that is one tip that wears really fast, the solder sucker tip. That handy tool with the cleaning pins/drills is helpfull for cleaning it out. It was included with mine.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

Anybody know where to get tips these days for Weller W-40 irons? These are the ones that have the magnetic temperature control slug in the tip. I have two that have been running for 20 years, but I don't see the tips any more in Digikey etc. Any pointers appreciated! Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage (Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Reply to
terry

I've been p.o.-d at Weller for years, since the disappearance of heating elements for their simple, red-color-handle-with-cork-insulation handles. I've had two of those handles and a pile of new-in-blister-pack iron-coated tips stashed away since the 80's, hoping I'll find heating elements someday.

One of those handles was issued to me during my Air Force days in 1968!

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael

Aren't those an Ungar product, not Weller? Did they merge?

Reply to
mc

Can't say I've ever used a Weller, but the Antex 660TC is nice. The XS25 non-temperature-controlled irons are also pretty good if you keep an eye on the temperature. When the handle starts getting warm, kill the power and let it cool down for a bit - usually means the element's gone past 300C and is in "lift the tracks instantly" territory.

The 660TC is 50W and temperature controlled. Built like a tank and much nicer than the XS. Thinner, lighter and less likely to go into thermal runaway (the XS tends to do that if you don't get the tip all the way on).

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G VF+UniPod
philpem@despammed.com (valid!)| Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 1G+180G