Variable duty cycle and frequency with a 555

I grew up on the Ohio River... I only eat "farmed" catfish ;-) ...Jim Thompson

oscillating at 5Hz, so I dont think that is an issue here

edge speed ??? you mean harmonics ??

captoro

The obvious question is why would you bother?

oscillating at 5Hz, so I dont think that is an issue here

The faster waveform rise time means that the higher harmonics of the fundamental remain significant. In the limit that the waveform becomes a delta function like spike then all harmonics are present with equal weight. A real narrow pulse has finite width. I presume this is a device designed to destroy MOSFETs and CFLs in roughly equal numbers!!!

BTW be careful if you end up flashing bright lights at frequencies in the 5 to 15 Hz range as if you are even slightly prone to epilepsy at the wrong frequency you could end up on the floor twitching in a fit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

What do they feed those? Sure it ain't made from chicken droppings?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Here, in AZ, a number of fish "varietals" (and shrimp) are grown is man-made ponds, with known good fish hatchery stock.

What they feed them, I don't know. But I understand the chicken-dropping-fed variety are known as NOLA-style >:-}

Speaking of chickens, until my oldest son started raising chickens on his ranch, I didn't know that chickens are carnivores... and they just love any sort of bird or snake that gets too close, and scorpions are their special treat ;-) ...Jim Thompson

coil.

only oscillating at 5Hz, so I dont think that is an issue here

edge

Not perfectly, but yes. The fast edges mean lots of high order harmonics. To help with the idea 1 microsecond edges mean plenty of 1 MHz range content, likewise 1 nanosecond edges mean plenty of 1 GHz range content.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Hmm. Make that omnivores, the eat grain as well as worms, grubs and insects when they get feral.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yep, They'll eat just about anything, though not tin cans, like his goats ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You have the date wrong...

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 10:03:31 -0700 Message-ID:

And the rule does not apply to anyone posting anti-American slurs >:-} ...Jim Thompson

How about solution-oriented newsgroups? Eg.

sci.electronics.555 sci.electronics.PIC sci.electronics.sallen.key sci.electronics.howland

Problems should be posted in an appropriate group for that solution.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

sci.electronics.12.angry.men (plus or minus a few)

Reply to
Ralph Barone

You forgot:

news:sci.electronics.braying.donkeys ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then we'd need another group

sci.electronics.tell-me-how-to-define-what-I-think-I'm-trying-to-do.

Mike doesn't realise that this is actually an alias of

set up for mutual admiration sessions between him and Jim.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well, if you get to choose (after the fact) when and where you will live by your vow, it ain't much of a vow. Take the high road - the view is much nicer.

Reply to
Ralph Barone