Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to ...

This according the British epidemiologist and government scientific adviser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidemics.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/two-thirds-patients-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Ferguson_ (epidemiologist)

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

So what? Take a thousand patients with terminal cancer and less than 6
months to live. Stand them in the middle of the road and let 10 drunk
drivers run them down. Are you saying we shouldn't blame the drunk
drivers because the patients were going to die anyway?

We are all going to die, so it seems we shouldn't be concerned about how
it happens if we don't reach our expected natural individual lifespan.

Of course, the newspaper article was shortened, so we don't know exactly
what was said or if there were any caveats.

--

Jeff

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
iser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidemics.
onavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

There weren't anyway. You should be able to dig out a BBC radio interview o
f the statement.

Seriously, if 2/3 of these people are down to their last 9 months, then the
y haven't been deprived of any significant amount of their life, and this i
s especially true if their quality of life is low due to pain, mobility or
emotional abandonment issues, to name a few. This is not to say these peopl
e don't count, but it does say their death is an almost expected event and
not a great tragedy. Now extend this to the looming economic crash of globa
l proportions that will lead to quite a lot of tragedy, and try to get a gr
ip on priorities.

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 19:34:19 +0100, Jeff Layman

What if the average number of people are killed this year by colds and
flu, but we gave this virus a name and a lot of testing and a lot of
publicity? Why don't we launch a similar massive effort to save lives
every year, from every virus?

We have 2300 corona19-blamed deaths in the USA so far. We have 20-50K
flu deaths so far. For the average old person dying of complications
of a cold or flu, we probably don't do a PCR analysis of what the
virus was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_pandemic#United_States

The data collected on colds and flu is shockingly bad, considering
that a lot of people die.

Science teaches us to doubt.

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 12:25:31 PM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnolo
viser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidemics.
ronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

There are roughly 3 million people who die per year in the US. Even if COVI
D deaths climb to 100,000, it won't change this number significantly. Obvio
usly, that is NOT why these extraordinary precautions are being taken. The
big elephant in the room is the transmissibility of the virus overwhelming
the healthcare system - if that breaks down there will be a flood of cases
into the general population beyond our ability to control. This could lead
to the deaths of millions. Right now, some hospitals in NY are at the break
ing point.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
adviser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidemics
.
coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

ow
ly
VID deaths climb to 100,000, it won't change this number significantly. Obv
iously, that is NOT why these extraordinary precautions are being taken. Th
e big elephant in the room is the transmissibility of the virus overwhelmin
g the healthcare system - if that breaks down there will be a flood of case
s into the general population beyond our ability to control. This could lea
d to the deaths of millions. Right now, some hospitals in NY are at the bre
aking point.

They're not telling you the health profile of all these people requiring ho
spitalization. Like are they morbidly obese, or have severe diabetes, vario
us chronic disease of the vital organs. It looks like people of just averag
e good health or better have mild to none in the way of symptoms. And requi
re minimal monitoring by their doctor.

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 3:25:31 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnolog
viser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidemics.
ronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

We do have efforts to minimize the harm from the flu.  It's called a vaccin
e.

What you seem incapable of understanding is that the flu is a number of dif
ferent diseases and kill a limited number.  This disease is caused by a sin
gle virus and we have no idea how many may die from it if we do nothing.  I
t can easily be many millions.  Why is that so hard for you to understand??
?

Why do you refuse to use your common sense about this pandemic?

What do you expect the final count of flu deaths will be from this season?
 What do you expect the final count of COVID-19 deaths will be?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

Sir Wilfrid Laurier, the famous doctor, called pneumonia "the old man's
friend."  These days it's almost the only way to die that isn't
horrible, except for something sudden like getting hit by a bus or
suffering a massive stroke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

What part of dying from pneumonia is not horrible???

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

The hospital setting puts you in coma. You never see it coming.

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 4:39:18 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot
e:
ic adviser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epidem
ics.
ie-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/
an 6
unk
ut how
pan.
xactly
and
es
0K
's

You mean the final part.  Up to that point you know you are suffering and c
an't catch your breath.  They put my dad on one of those machines.  His mom
 died of scarring of the lungs, slowly over many months.  An uncle died of
lung cancer, near the end his emaciated body writhing, trying to get a bit
of air past the tumor into his lungs.

All of them gruesome, not something you forget.

You definitely see pneumonia coming.  It's only once you are so bad off you
 don't care about much that they put you out.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
ote:
ific adviser with a lifetime of experience studying deadly disease and epid
emics.
-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/
than 6
drunk
nk
bout how
espan.
 exactly
s and
 of
ives
-50K
ons
es
an's

 can't catch your breath.  They put my dad on one of those machines.  His m
om died of scarring of the lungs, slowly over many months.  An uncle died o
f lung cancer, near the end his emaciated body writhing, trying to get a bi
t of air past the tumor into his lungs.

No one was talking abut those kinds of death. The corona virus will not mak
e you suffer like that. It roars in like high speed rail and kills you pret
ty fast.

ou don't care about much that they put you out.

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

What a crock of BS.  It takes time to kill you and you know you are possibly dying because you feel horrible.  You are talking out of your ass.

It's a horrible way to die and many who don't die suffer and linger on for days and weeks with lasting damage to their lungs.  Don't make this out to be a merciful disease.  That's BS.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:39:14 -0700 (PDT),

Last time I was in a hospital, there were several strong motivations
to get out, preferably alive.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

They kill a few hundred thousand people a year though accidents and infections.

OMG- did someone say people died?

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes
Osler, the famous doctor, called pneumonia "the old man's

Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

My late father passed from an internal hemorrhage of the bowel, aside
from the initial onset with modern medicine it seemed a rather peaceful
passing. The hospital staff initially thought he might have simply
severe allergies with a bit of blood in the cough (it happened in early
May) Sadly it was not that simple and at his age (91), an operation
unlikely to be recovered from.

As he didn't have a living will it was up to me to make the call as to
what would happen, and I called it. He was conscious but sedated enough
that the doctors considered me to be the authority on that. but didn't
seem able or willing to go one way or another, I never knew exactly what
he wanted. We chatted for quite a while before I made the decision and
at one point he sighed, chuckled and said "well I'm very old and maybe
it's time to pack it up?"

Took that as the cue to go ahead and inform the doctors. best I was
going to get from him in that condition I figured. Other than that on
the day before he passed he was fairly lucid and chatted about a wide
range of stuff and he cracked a few more jokes, as he was prone to do.
And that I 100% should not buy a used powerboat without getting it
checked out!  Eventually he went to sleep and the last rites were
performed. and he passed away early the next morning.

If he were here I am sure he would quip something like "I knew my ass
would get me in trouble eventually."

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

The day you've got a bunch of doctors and family members all looking at
you to make calls like that is a day you know what real power feels
like. Is being Mr. Powerful always fun and rewarding? Nah, I wouldn't
characterize my experience of it that way.

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

Because there's no immunity from previous strains, this one is a killer, and
the mortality predictions are about the same as for WW II.   It's a major change in
YOUR life expectancy if we do nothing.

Don't you feel silly asking that same easy question over and over?

Re: Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes

The statistic for deaths due to all causes each and every day in U.S. is 6,600. The corona deaths don't even register compared to that. It's just another cause of death.