Transistor Theremin by Alexander Zeyliger

I would like to build the Transistor Theremin designed by Alexander Zeyliger but I need some help. I have some questions to be answered, I know they are so basic....

What kind of capacitor is needed? I mean: ceramic, electrolytic, etc... It will works if the power supply is a 12VDC battery charger? It's so important to build it on a PCB? It's hard to build this project? I'll get any sound if I haven't got an oscilloscope to tune it? Any suggestion for a 2N2222A equivalent?

You can find the schematics and information here:

Thank you in advance

Reply to
Andreu

I think ceramic capacitors would be fine. If you have some old styroflex capacitors in your box of odds and sods, like I have, they may be better for the pF capacitors for the high frequency. The 1000uF is an elco.

If you build it on a breadboard, a long wire is already a pF capacitor and antenna, which could be a problem with all those low value capacitors and high frequencies. The article says it doesn't oscillate with every 2N222A and the circuit has to be shielded, so looks like it is difficult. And the author wrote that there are problems with the volume control, which you have to add yourself, too. I don't know much about analog electronics, but I definitly know: If I would build it, it wouldn't work :-)

I would use a CapSense chip. Then you can add a MIDI output or RS232 and connect it to a PC, which can create much better sounds. You could even use it for game controlling etc.

Another nice idea would be to use a webcam:

Then you don't have to build any hardware at all.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

snipped-for-privacy@frank-buss.dehttp://www.frank-buss.de,http://www.it4-systems.de

Thank you very much!!

Reply to
Andreu

Use tantulum capacitors and any smalll signal npn will do. A battery charger is regulated funny. use battery pack or use a 12 vdc wall wart power supply.

Marc

Reply to
LVMarc