That was scary

 Grocery shopping.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: That was scary

In what way?

Re: That was scary

Agreed. "Minimize your exposure" to our dysfunctional society. My wife dema
nded she take on this role, but afterwards comes home intensely unnerved. P
eople have various reactions to unseen, unfelt enemy, lurking around any ot
her body or thing. Those people who don't take it seriously and act without
 care (and possibly revel in this) cause intense reaction (at very least) f
rom those at the other end of this practice. Real violence has erupted.

Re: That was scary

What violence? Cite?

Re: That was scary
demanded she take on this role, but afterwards comes home intensely unnerve
d. People have various reactions to unseen, unfelt enemy, lurking around an
y other body or thing. Those people who don't take it seriously and act wit
hout care (and possibly revel in this) cause intense reaction (at very leas
t) from those at the other end of this practice. Real violence has erupted.

Unfortunately, there've been several reports of fear-induced and racial-bas
ed assaults in the NYC area. and elsewhere.

https://abc7ny.com/woman-attacked-blamed-for-covid-19-pandemic-in-bronx/607
8498/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-uk/the-rise-of-coronavirus-h
ate-crimes

(I didn't know s.e.d. was academic based publishing that requires sources f
or all assertions :-)

Re: That was scary

Have you never encountered a feral mum on the hunt for toilet paper?

Re: That was scary

Send her my way.  I've got lots.  We'll find out what a feral mom will do f
or toilet paper.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: That was scary

  A good, properly sized tampon is hard to find when you are up in the year
s.
She probably uses two at a time.  :-)

Re: That was scary
demanded she take on this role, but afterwards comes home intensely unnerve
d. People have various reactions to unseen, unfelt enemy, lurking around an
y other body or thing. Those people who don't take it seriously and act wit
hout care (and possibly revel in this) cause intense reaction (at very leas
t) from those at the other end of this practice. Real violence has erupted.

I was in a Sam's club about a week ago. Some fat slob in a powered shopping
 cart was screaming at me that he was going to have me arrested, fined $5,0
00 and put in prison for at least ten years. He was on the other side of th
e counter, more than six feet from me as I but a case of canned Green beans
 on the belt. He continued with, "I'm going to start trowing your shit on t
he floor! I've taught people how to fight, for decades, and I'm going to br
eak off your cane in your ass!" If he had laid a hand on me, he would have
needed an ambulance. I'm sick of loudmouthed idiots, just looking to start
something.

If he was really afraid of getting close to anyone, there was no way he wou
ld consider picking up someone else's items. The look in his eyes was that
of a crazed animal. I've seen it in the wolves that roamed the Army base in
 Alaska as they sized me up for their next meal.

Re: That was scary

Why? Staring at the empty shelf for toilet paper? :-)

Here in the Wild West grocery shopping is still a normal thing. Well,
except for toilet paper, sugar, flour and similar items that seem to be
permanently out of stock. So we buy more fruit and other stuff now instead.

Of course, we live in El Dorado County, pop around 200,000 but only 22
COVID cases and no deaths. So far.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: That was scary

Could be worse...
Instead of just being out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer, they could be out of grapes, padlocks and spackle.  (There a vague memory of a joke in there somewhere...)

Re: That was scary

Garlic. There are no garlic bulbs, but they have peeled garlic in
plastic containers for 10x the usual price.

Oh well, peeling garlic is a pain anyhow.

The regular ice cream is mostly gone, but you can get fancy gelato.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: That was scary
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

  The processed stuff doesn't work on the vampires as good as the
freshly peeled cloves do.

Re: That was scary

Only use stores that offer curbside pickup. Order is usually placed with their custom app. Or use one of those shopping services like InstaCart.

You still need to wash down every item in the cart, like so:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=youtu.be

Re: That was scary

I think this guy gets a fail.  I have not heard that such a cursory wipe with a paper towel wetted with cleaner will disinfect this virus.  We are told to wash our hands for 20 seconds, so why does a quick wipe give a pass to groceries?

Notice that when he starts loading the shopping bag he also gives his hands a very cursory wipe.  Nope, that's the sort of cleaning they do to the shopping carts in the stores.

The guy has the right idea of clean/not clean separation, but the cleaning procedures are not adequate.

That said, when I shopped yesterday I didn't clean any of my items.  But then most of them were not touched again for over 24 hours.  Not sure what to do about fresh items.  I guess apply the 24 hour rule.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: That was scary
te:
h their custom app. Or use one of those shopping services like InstaCart.
with a paper towel wetted with cleaner will disinfect this virus.  We are t
old to wash our hands for 20 seconds, so why does a quick wipe give a pass
to groceries?
ds a very cursory wipe.  Nope, that's the sort of cleaning they do to the s
hopping carts in the stores.

According to EPA, the active ingredient in the Lysol multi-surface cleaner
he's using requires 4 minutes of wet time to kill corona. Question is what
actually is wet and does a quick wipe do it. It may. Their disinfectant may
 seem dry to us, but it hangs in there and leaves a residue, so what he's d
oing may be good enough. If he was using the 65-70% alcohol, it would requi
re only 30 seconds and be adequate. If you use stronger alcohol solution, t
he alcohol evaporates off too fast to last 30 seconds.

g procedures are not adequate.

He's done better than most. Apparently we have MDs out there who don't know
 how to wash their hands, as demonstrated with their flawed PSAs on hand wa
shing technique.

then most of them were not touched again for over 24 hours.  Not sure what
to do about fresh items.  I guess apply the 24 hour rule.

Re: That was scary

Not necessarily. You are most unlikely to fall sick after eating food
tainted by corona virus, assuming your basic sanitary habits are ok.

Here is a very good summary of the risks and mitigations from
Australia's experts on this subject:

<https://blog.csiro.au/coronavirus-and-food/

Clifford Heath.

Re: That was scary

You don't seem to understand.  No one is talking about issues with eating food.  The problem comes from handling it and then touching your face/mouth/eyes/nose.  If it gets into one of those orifices it can grow and infect you.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: That was scary

...says the bloke who responds before reading the article.

There's a reason why I usually ignore your posts. It's because your
comprehension is so poor.

For everyone else... wash carefully after going outside, especially when
you go where other people have been and touch things they might have
touched. That's "basic sanitation"... it has nothing to do with food.

Re: That was scary
ith their custom app. Or use one of those shopping services like InstaCart.

So why did you bother this time?  I wouldn't mind if you did us both a favo
r.

Sorry, I watched the video and missed the article.

While we have no clear indication COVID-19 infects through the alimentary c
anal, there simply is not sufficient data on the issue.  No one should be s
aying it can't happen.  The chances of you being infected by other means is
 likely, much, much higher, so we simply won't see it in the data.

The article says nowhere that you can't be infected by food.  It says, "The
re is no current evidence" and "The acid in our stomach is expected to inac
tivate the virus", but don't say it won't happen and completely ignores the
 fact that our breathing and alimentary paths are linked.  It would be very
 easy to aspirate micro-droplets of contagion while eating fresh foods.  Ag
ain, possible while not likely.

--

  Ricky C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging