Teriyaki marinade - grilled salmon

I know this is where the culinary experts hang out, so I'll run this by yall. I've done this only once, in Homer, Alaska, where the catch was fresh. Now, with store-bought - it's going on the fireplace grill. Any thoughts? Here's the plan:

1) Some low-salt soy sauce (1/2 cup) 2) a pour of olive oil 3) 1/2 lime squeezed 4) small clove fresh garlic, minced 5) 1/4 cup white wine (optional) - leftovers -> chef 6) a couple scoops of raw sugar 7) 1/2 tsp tarragon (optional)

marinate 1/2 hr, grill each side 1 min, brush on more marinade while cooking ~4 minutes / side

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

Sounds good. I like the 'f*ck off, no bullshit' approach to cooking. Always tastes good and not over complicated in the flavour department. Does not spoil the taste of the beer either.

Reply to
The Real Andy

The only way to eat alaskan salmon is raw, with your bare hands whilst standing in a stream.

Reply to
maxfoo

Frank Raffaeli wrote: (snip)

My favorite recipe, (so far, I haven't tried yours) is:

Place the fillets in a shallow puddle of whole milk, 5 minutes on each side. Blot dry. This eliminates any fishy smell that turns some people off salmon. Works for any fish. Don't know why.

Mix equal parts of ground dry cinnamon, ginger and red Chimayo pepper. Add about half as much salt volume as the total of the spices. Dust both sides generously with this mixture. Brush, lightly with olive oil (I often pat it on with my hands). These spices produce not only a nice flavor and color, but give the surface a nice crusty contrast to the inner, more delicate texture.

Grill till the fish turns opaque about half way through (about 4 minutes). Turn over. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the cooked surface and grill the second side for slightly less time (since the fillet is warmed from the first side cooking. When the center of the flesh just turns from translucent to opaque, it is done.

Good served with a sauce made of barely melted butter mixed with a bit of sugar and finely grated fresh ginger (you'll have to wing the proportions) that is chilled a little after mixing to firm it up and then lightly whipped. Also good with this fish recipe is honey mustard. I like to alternate bites with these two condiments. A few extra wedges of fresh lemon to be dripped on the fish, for those who really like this effect, is nice, too. A side of steamed, Jasmine (fragrant) rice with butter, green beans and heated, pickled beets makes a complete and healthful meal.

I have served this to people who claim they don't really like salmon and they have come back for seconds and thirds.

Reply to
John Popelish

Each to their own, i would omit the soy sauce and use the whole lime. Marinate for at least 1 hour. I would probably use less sugar though.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

That's just asking for a parasite infection. Each to their own though. I like salmon in damn near any form, especially smoked.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Will have to try that, thanks!

A co-worker mentioned that cooking with white wine gives a similar effect - removes the fishy odor. Any comments on this...? Come to think of it, I've never tried it myself...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The worst thing to put on salmon is soy based teriyaki sauce, avoid soy at all costs. If you haven't heard the dangers of soy yet, read this article.

maxfoo

(snip)

I have not heard of using wine for this effect. But next time I'll do some each way and compare.

Reply to
jpopelish

Er, that article says soy actually has some benefits. A better thyroid, for one (see Page 2).

We're only talking about 1/2 cup of soy SAUCE (not solid soy protein) for the whole dish.

I wonder how the... er... downsides of soy sauce compare with those of benzo[a]pyrene produced during barbecuing. When I took organic chemistry in college, I learned that pure benzopyrene, which was guaranteed 100% to cause skin tumors on shaved rats, is also produced (in small amounts) in barbecue.

I hope I didn't scare anyone from barbecuing anymore... ;-)

Oh well. Gotta live some too.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I caught mine in August, off the Kenai, but I would certainly NEVER eat the fresh fish raw -- the probability of parasites in river-caught fish is virtually 100%. Furthermore, as we processed ours for smoking, I SAW the little devils -- transparent, slender little worms -- wiggling in the meat.

No sir! If you must eat it raw, hard freeze it first. Dry ice is handy and cheap. -20oC for a 24hrs is plenty, IIRC.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat