Suggestions for Rugged ESD-Dissipative Work Area Mat

Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions for material to use as a mat on my work bench. If you have manufacturer and part numbers you an suggest that would be great. Or even just a type of material to look for would be helpful.

Here are the criteria I'd like to meet in order of importance to me with

1 being most important.

1) ESD-Dissipative obviously with an external connection to earth

2) tough enough to cut on it with a knife without cutting through 3) my soldering iron won't simply melt through it like butter 4) a colour other than that ugly blue that most ESD mats are

Maybe I'm asking for the moon. But we've been there so perhaps this isn't that difficult.

Thanks for any input.

James.

Reply to
James Morrison

Hello James,

Wow. I guess that places you in the category of folks that would have to look for the next tile setter's class at Home Depot (they are good). Maybe marble would work, or stainless steel ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

James, my cousin worked in the floor covering industry and built us an antistatic "pads" for a workbench. He made it out of commercial carbon filled floor tiles used for ESD proof rooms. It consists of a matrix of tiles laid in a framework. There is a copper foil tape that runs under each tile and this solders to a common copper foil on the edge of the frame where a grounding wire is attached. This unit has been used every day for 10+ years in our lab without major degradation. It has been cut upon, solder splattered, etc. and just keeping on conducting. Color is more of a salt & pepper off white.

Blakely

Reply to
Noone