Stupendously Expensive Amplifier

What makes this amp justify its outrageous price tag, FFS? Is it due to it weighing in at 170 lbs per channel? Can it make the Sex Pistols sound like the Beach Boys or something? Where's the value here?

Cursitor Doom

The only ones more ignorant than liberals are audiophools. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

It's probably out of stock.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, sold out. :)

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I think the decimal point is in the wrong place. "Suggested U.S. retail for the MKII Factory Update is $7495 per pair. New vacuum tubes and shipping to / from factory are extra. For those music lovers who require the ultimate in power delivery, new-build REFERENCE 600 MKII amplifiers are available at U.S. $17,495 each, or $34,990 the pair, suggested retail."

So MSRP is $34,990. I think he meant to price them at $19,999.99, not $200K.

Still pretty silly though...

Reply to
JW

Somebody's hoping that you won't notice the location of the decimal point?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Solid gold, black anodized faceplate?

Reply to
Kevin Glover

A real audio purist will go for a amp.

Theres a few on ebay $3k to $14k.

I knew a guy that cleaned out the internal dust from his gear once a year, and even he thought these prices were high.

Martin Riddle

Can't forget the capacitor upgrade, though!

By the same guy. Hmmm...

Reply to
JW

LOL!! Years ago there was this special, expensive brick that you could place on your amp that would increase its bass performance or so they said.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Screw coupling caps (try to get rid of them). How about the phools that say they can hear the difference in supply filter caps. ...or the frapin' color of the wrapping! (yes, really)

Reply to
krw

See down the bottom of this:

"our engineer has hurt his back ?so we cannot service these ourselves for the foreseeable future"

I LOL'd.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ever since Bob Carver designed a joke amplifier which sold like hotcakes, e veryone's been trying to top him. His was the Silver Seven, including all the known audiophile beliefs in one place: tube amp, silver wiring, transfo rmer iron from special Peruvian mines, a granite slab to prevent microphoni cs, DC filament supply, etc. etc... A mono amp of course (so, must buy t wo!)

I hope he knew enough to use non-resin standoffs, ceramic-based paint, and to color the special spots with the special green hi-lighter pen.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Well that would all have been for naught, unless he supplied it with a "Isoclean Audiophile Gold-Plated UK

13A Mains Plug": "The Reference 13A plug for your mains cable We use these 13A mains plug in our demonstration room because they perform so well. The design of the terminals mean that they are less likely to lose their grip over time, so they continue to keep your equipment connected securely to the mains. Pre fitted with the Clipsal 13A Audiophile fuse for improved performance."
Reply to
Tom Gardner

What they do not say, the real enthusiast has to buy a companion cable with transparent insulation and gold-plated Litz conductors at a considerably better price ...

--

-TV
Reply to

(I particularly like "three silver plated copper conductors made from *Ohno* Continuous Cast (OCC) copper", my emphasis)

Or any of their wide range of antiresonant fuses ranging

Truly these people are "special".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, one *can* take this fetish for proper power a step or two beyond the fuses and power cord...

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I can ALMOST accept that some of them hear the difference in coupling caps. But usually power supply filter caps are a different story. One notable ex ception is on Pioneer phono preamps. They use like a 220/10 in the phono st age and it looks like that can really affect the performance. They use them a few other places as well which might affect the overall performance. One is in the global feedback network of the power amp. That affects everythin g.

Looking at the circuit, they did not need even half of that capacitance, th ey used it for the low ESR. There is no other reason to do it. Get the prin t for a Pioneer SX-737 and you should be able to see what I mean. They coul d have used a 33 uF but used a 220 instead.

Now, when most amps were not usually DC coupled the output caps were a crit ical factor. If they only used a 1,000 uF you lost alot of bass.

But interstage, not so much.

Reply to
jurb6006

Correct. for Liberals we now have Libertines and for conservatives... well, no one. Just a big, empty void in the political spectrum.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Amazingly good value! You can't seriously expect to connect a 100 grand amp up with an ordinary mains plug! The very notion is laughable. A system like this is only as good as its weakest link, so *everything* right through must be of the very best 'high end' design. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom