Speaking* of green laser diodes.

On Apr 12, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

I?m not visualizing this. In my mental picture, the reflection misses the lens, and so cannot get to the hapless laser diode.

.

I think we have different optical systems in mind. .

What if one has two collimators, one expanding the beam, the other compressing the beam, squinting at one another from the same side, but facing one another. Would not the coma cancel out?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Fiber couplers too. (or is that what you mean by a collimator?) When I measure LD's in the wavemeter Jr. I always have to add a 'poor mans' isolator; linear polarizer and 1/4 wave plate. Best is if it's the first element before reflection, (as you know.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

:

rote:

Hobbs:

l Hobbs

Phil

ater

laser

am-opto-semiconduct

wtf?

=

s&f

deeplink=

want to

.

in the

d sucks

mode

then

dium,

ent

um, and

ough it

ome, as

re

uite a

upled.

I'd get

modes are

tor of

d be

sonably

m19s

e. It's

one

ns are

quency

enly

des.

How the

ths.

ycles

e at

through

time it

m a comb

aced

n modes

t's

lly

ery well.

ome

bove

t, and if

lf stably.

and

ehaviour.

aser

age)

rick

ically,

way, and

tion of

sses the

Hi Joe, if I may interrupt. I think you are talking about two different reflections. In photography (which I don't know so well) the light source is off axis from the detector (well, most of the time, with a flash they ar e close.) In the laser diode case the diode is source and detector. People pay ~$1k for Faraday opto-isolators.

George H.

,

off

cing

Reply to
George Herold

Light propagation is time-reversal symmetric. If you send it back the way it came, it winds up where it began.

Two collimators? Are you talking about anamorphic prisms? A collimator is a lens.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The circular polarization trick is always worth a try--it generally gets you about 40 dB (optical) isolation. Problem is, you need >60 dB for real insurance against mode hopping due to back-reflections. That needs a two-stage Faraday isolator.

RF modulation of the diode laser bias current can make that a lot easier.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Apr 12, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

[big snip]

ly,

tion

diameter free-space light beam connecting them. The free-space beams traverse various interesting optical components, some of which have annoying reflections. The intent is to misdirect the various reflections such that they miss the collimator apertures and so are lost.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Worth a read, I had this open and reading it about four months ago...

They have a blue version in another journal:

High-power broadly tunable grating-coupled external cavity laser in green region

Review of Scientific Instruments 89, 125106 (2018);

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Minor misalignment of the free-space optics is a win, because the available etendue (area-solid angle product) is so large compared with a fibre that you can misalign them without losing signal.

The collimators themselves don't have that luxury.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just returned from two weeks away.

On Apr 14, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

age

ric

ica

way

lic

,
2mm

The lenses typically have (or can be required to have) a larger NA than the fiber, so there should be some wiggle room before light is lost.

Unless some loss of light is acceptable?

With single-mode graded-index fiber, there would be no reason not to point the light cone directly at the lens aperture, as both "object" and "image" are ~ diffraction-limited spots.

I may be missing something critical. Is there an article I should read?

always wondered what physics entity (like energy or momentum) is being conserved by etendue.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Nope. Light propagation is time-reversal symmetric, so in a single mode, if misalignment reduces the reverse coupling by N dB, it reduces the forward coupling by the same factor.

A whole lot of loss.

Conservation of etendue, at bottom, is the same physics as the Heisenberg uncertainty--you can't localize both the real-space and k-space wave function simultaneously to better than a certain bound.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Apr 27, 2019, Phil Hobbs wrote (in article):

pac

Ba

her

ap

axi

ato

u g

I do see that, now.

Conservation of uncertainty, because both concern waves. I do recall this being mentioned somewhere, but how they got there was not explained. Again, is there an article or book chapter that I should read?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn