snubber?

Start with a 115VAC or 230VAC line with a triac switching a relay, and assume an RC snubber is used on the triac. Does the coil of the relay also need a snubber, and if so will a MOV do?

Next, since the relay contacts will be switching inductive loads (a motor), where should that snubber be: across the contacts or across the load (again, will a MOV do)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

OV do?

Doesn't need a snubber, the triac turns off at zero-crossing in normal operation. If something abnormal happens, a high dV/dT will trigger the triac (which is harmless).

MOV across the contacts is not a bad idea. Do NOT squeeze an MOV inside a motor's wiring cavity!

Reply to
whit3rd

May i assume that if one did that, the heat from the motor would lower the MOV "avalanche" point which would make the MOV heat up and then thermal run-away? If that is the case, then what would be the max operating temp be for the MOV?

Reply to
Robert Baer

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE AN MOV IN LIEU OF A SNUBBER!!!!

MOVs are designed to wear out, a little bit at a time, under pathological circumstances, like line glitches and arcs.

The capacitor should be selected to create a resonance at the frequency in question, and the resistor should equal the inductive reactance of the coil. This brings the Q down so that it's got critical damping.

I'd put it as close to the load as possible. Again, select the cap to resonate with the L at the freq. of interest, and drag the Q down with the resistor.

There's a lot of leeway selecting these parts - I've seen guys pull numbers out of the air and make effective snubbers.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Stay away from MOVs. They're not for snubbing - they're for protecting your equipment from "power surges", i.e., big overvoltage glitches.

If you're not up to designing a snubber, then use an AC Transzorb.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A small MOV will keep chatter/bounce on the relay contacts from making RF or arcing and burning the points; it doesn't have to absorb a lightning strike (the motor is not in any way 'sensitive' to surges). If there IS a surge and the MOV gets hot, better that it doesn't melt an expensive motor's lead wires.

The energy from switching a (small, stray) inductance is in no way comparable to the lightning-transient surges that kill MOVs. An MOV device here will not endure any such stress in normal operation; it'll outlast the relay.

Reply to
whit3rd

y,

MOV do?

(a

Cool, I had no idea what a snubber was. What sort of Q do you use to 'guesstimate' the resistor value?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Whatever Q you get when R is equal to the inductive reactance at the frequency you want to attenuate.

But I've never seen anybody spend any significant time on it, e.g.: "Oh, just throw in about a mike and a ksy or so; half-watt oughta handle it." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

elay,

l a MOV do?

cal

the

ads (a

the

Ahh, Call it a Q of one then. That makes sense. I was just thinking you could let it ring for longer if you wanted to lower the resistive losses.

Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

do?

Oops! I meant "kay" above, as in "one kay" (1K), not 'ksy', whatever that is. ;-)

Glad I was able to help!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise