Semi OT: Tesla Model 3

You're talking from ignorance.

For YOU! You aren't me and I have MY preferences.

If I'm not supposed to look down at the instrument panel I guess it doesn't matter how it looks or even where they put it! Don't be absurd.

It's illegal to have your GPS on the dash in many states. The screen in the model 3 *is* in the dash.

Which seems to be all you can say. Clearly you have nothing of value to say on the matter.

YOUR car. It comes with the model 3 so doesn't raise the cost at all. Trying to say the cost is built in may be true, but it isn't $2,500 anymore. It costs under $100 to include a GPS or you wouldn't be able to buy them for that... *with* free updates.

It's exactly the point, just not in line with your views. Detroit is being challenged again, this time from within the US. The very fact that Tesla will be losing the rebate while Detroit can't give away their EVs is a clear indication.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Which is the way *you* use a GPS. I want to see the bloody map and have some idea of where I'm going. I'd be happy with Google maps printouts if I could juggle the paper in the car. I don't like or use the voice most of the time.

Wonderful. I don't have a smart phone.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Many car manufacturers charge extra for "premium" colors nowadays so unless you want matte white, black, or some fashion of grey you'll be paying extra. The Siren Red Volt is an extra $400, the "Iridescent Pearl Tricoat" is an extra $1k.

Aquamarine is a base color on the 2018 Volt though and I think it looks pretty nice!

Reply to
bitrex

The long-range battery is $9,000 extra. Colour other than black is $1,000 extra.

Unless you already have a reservation you probably couldn't get the 220 mile version until 2019. For my place in line the delivery estimate is between March and May 2018 for the long range version and December for the short range.

Tesla gave the pricing in their press releases - it doesn't seem to be on their web site.

This site gives a rundown on the pricing -

You will need to have a smartphone to get into the car as the model 3 does not use a key fob. It uses an app on the phone.

There is an emergency contactless card for access if your phone dies or for valet parking but you lose the walk-up features.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

That's *really* dumb. I use my smart phone for a lot of things but as a key fob, it would suck. Having to get out my phone, get through the security, and find the app, while I have an arm full of groceries would not be fun. Digging out the keys (my fob is the key) is bad enough.

Reply to
krw

9 grand extra for the long-range version is a silly price, at that point you're pushing into the price range of the electric models that will be on sale late 2018 from BMW and Jag, which are significantly nicer cars.
Reply to
bitrex

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:00:06 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

You don't have to get your phone out or touch it - it just has to be active and on your person.

The doors will unlock when you walk up to the car - it uses Bluetooth.

Many cars these days have a similar functionality using the fob - my Toyota does and it is very convenient.

The car continually transmits a low frequency beacon (~125kHz). When the fob detects that beacon it transmits its unique ID over the 433MHz RF link. If the car recognizes that ID it will either unlock or at least ready the car for opening so all you do is grab the door handle.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

We'll see - I am skeptical that the other makes will be comparable price or "nicer", or available in 2018.

BMW charges ~$42,000 for a ~100 mile range i3.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

I'd speculate that BMW is trying to boost the stock range of the i3 up to ~150 and drop the base price under 40 for the 2018 to remain competitive.

I think around 150 is the "sweet spot" where most drivers would start to feel comfortable owning the car as their main ride without a range extender engine and there's probably diminishing returns in what kind of bang for the buck you feel you're getting once you start pushing the range up above 200.

A 310 mile range vs 220 doesn't seem at all worth an extra 9 grand, at least for me. And I think many younger car buyers don't use their car for long trips much anyway so enormous ranges without recharge isn't as big a decision-making factor; what is often a decision making factor is that few want to pay a premium price for a "budget" model. You can spend

45 grand on a swish blinged-out Volt if you really want to but I'm guessing few buyers do that.
Reply to
bitrex

Yet another bluetooth app to screw up.

Give me the fob. As I said, smart phones are great for a lot of things but this isn't one of them.

I didn't know phones had a 125kHz receiver. Nah, I'll take the fob (or a fob/key).

Reply to
krw

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 4:19:29 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote: ..

e or "nicer", or available in 2018.

I fudged it a bit when I said ~100 mile. Last years model used a 60Ah batt ery to give about 80 miles range.

They have recently upgraded the battery to 94Ah (at 350V) to give 114miles EPA range with no other significant changes in the spec although price chan ge of ~$2,000. It will probably be a couple of years before they upgrade ag ain.

ve.

Probably not till 2019 or 2020.

I agree - 150 mile range is probably a significant milestone.

I'll probably get the 310 mile range version - it will be available about 9 months earlier anyway.

I looked at the Volt and although I liked the technology and driving - the inaccessible back seat and nonexistent cargo space stopped me buying one (a lso the incompetence of the salesmen and unavailability of desired features ). It would have been about $42k list for the features I wanted. (probably negotiable).

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:13:45 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

he fob detects that beacon it transmits its unique ID over the 433MHz RF li nk. If the car recognizes that ID it will either unlock or at least ready the car for opening so all you do is grab the door handle.

Sorry - that was me causing confusion. The 125kHz is for the normal keyles s entry using a fob. The phone approach uses BT on 2.4GHz for both directi ons. (probably BT LE).

The phone approach is fine for me and I'm sure many people - I always have my phone on me, one less thing to carry if I don't need the car key.

When I get a model 3 I'll probably get one of the house lock devices that a lso use the phone - then I won't need to carry any keys.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Frustratingly they just started offering some of the safety features from the Premium trimline on the 2018 LT Volt, including the rear cross traffic alert and the blind spot monitors for around $500 extra. Which are exactly the ones I would've got for such a modest option price.

Cargo space is fine for a bachelor but yeah I could see it as being frustratingly small to use as a car for family trips. And yeah most of the Chevy dealer salesmen I talked to didn't know much more than I did. The first one I had I just got at a mega-dealership from a pleasant but know-nothing salesman just because they could offer me a stupidly low price on the "dent and ding" floor model of the outgoing year. Second time I went to another dealership that had a couple older salesmen who really knew the car well and had many Volts in stock, even a custom solar charging bay to park them.

He seemed like a happy guy as in New England area both the Volt and Bolt are good sellers. They got one of the largest shipments of Bolts when it was first released and they sold out in a couple weeks; he told me a few customers came in from Illinois and Minnesota to pick them up and drive home.

Reply to
bitrex

It did sound strange. ;-)

I have a dozen or so bluetooth devices paired on my phone, with probably half that many apps that use them. It's not at all unusual for the device to be disconnected when I want to use it, sometimes requiring an un-pair/pair cycle. Having to do that to get into my car, with an armload of stuff, or in the rain, would piss me off no end. No thanks.

You don't work? ;-) I only carry three keys. House, car , and work desk (all the other work keys get left in the desk). Oh, I also have a USB stick that looks like a key.

Reply to
krw

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:59:49 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

I only have 2 or 3 paired devices and haven't had a problem - is that on iOS or Android?

I do need a key card for work but no keys.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:52:00 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote: ...

Those are the sorts of things I wanted and full range adaptive cruise contr ol.

Although Chevy said they were available back in January - the dealer said t hey wouldn't have any for a few months. I ended up getting a Prius (hybrid only as the plug-in also had limited car go space). It did have the ADAS features I wanted (BSM, rear cross traffic alert, automatic emergency braking, lane keeping alert, full speed adaptive cruise control and a couple of others) - they have helped avoided an accid ent (or at least a very close call) two or three times in the six months I' ve had it as well as being convenient.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Android. Samsung Note-5.

We have RFID badges for access (inside and out) but keys for furniture. I keep all parts and most tools locked up so they don't evaporate. I don't mind giving stuff to others but it does piss me off if people take things without asking, or at least telling, me.

Reply to
krw

With shorter ranges. Who said they will be available in 2018? I've heard

2020.
--
Rick C

Presently at Wintercrest Farms
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

I don't think you understand electric cars at all. The price per mile of range is *less* for the model 3 when you add the extra range. There is no basis for saying 150 is the sweet spot if it still costs *more* than the

200+ mile range of the model 3.

What are you thinking?

I am in Tennessee at the moment where I came for the eclipse. I drove 400 miles and was thinking I would need to stop twice if I was driving an EV with a 200+ mile range. But it turns out there is a Supercharger *exactly* at the half way point in Wyethville, VA where I stopped to eat anyway. There are several others on the path as well, but they are very conveniently located and charge *much* faster than any other chargers available for EVs today or any announced. That's a *huge* advantage over the other EVs.

--
Rick C

 From Wintercrest Farms
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

So why aren't you reserved??? I am. I've got two reservations. Want one of mine?