spotted

popular. ;-)

come

out.

outside.

outside,

The

'em

If it's in the house, uninvited, it's dead. There are very few exceptions.

Don't forget to put a *loud* alarm on that pump.

Reply to
krw

unfortunately

or

I've had

leak, on

the

was

heated

breeding ground

temperature

bacteria

the

Not if the heat can't go anywhere.

Rarely, if ever, anymore. Has copper been used in a new house in the last two decades? It's mostly PEX, now. This house is plumbed with PVC, though.

Lots of bad things happened decades ago. Sheetrock was poison a few years back, too, but they're still using it.

of

Precisely, so leave it at 140C to kill deadly bacteria.

I was close to turning on a heat pump this morning. It was 61F in the house but I knew it would be warming up, for free, in a couple of hours. ;-) It's usually mid-November before I need heat, but I really don't know how this house will act; larger house, more surface area per ft^2, and a basement instead of slab.

Reply to
krw

unfortunately

leak or

I've had

leak, on

the

was

heated

breeding ground

temperature

bacteria

temperature.

the

Sure, into the cold water system. In water you do not need to have movement to spread heat. I use that effect in summer at times when working near the pool in the full sun. Tool gets to hot to hold, dip it into the pool, phsssss, ah ... much better.

I've been in a few new houses here. All copper. PVC can be nashty nashty when there's a fire.

One of our SW guys had his whole house replumbed. The mfg's liability insurance had to pay for the whole job, hotel and so on. And that of his neighbors. And of their neighbors ...

of

140C would result in a big kablouie, blaring sirens and a huge steam cloud rising high above the city :-)

Basement is good, surface area not so much. We have way too many windows and they are all single-pane. Normally no problem but when there is a lot of wind outside then the wood stove has a hard time keeping it warm.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

unfortunately

or

had

on

ground

temperature

I have insulated both intake and output on my water heater. I try to get as much insulation distance on output as possible

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Mythbusters managed 220C before a spectacular BLEVE took the roof off. the pressure at 140C is not so high that it would exceed the normal working pressure of many hot water systems.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

even

before

that

snail's

through

spotted

popular. ;-)

come

out.

outside.

outside,

The

'em

Yup, we mostly catch-and-release.

Our house is embeddded into the side of a hill, mostly rock. The lower floor is below the street, so all that waste water goes into a sump and has to be pumped up.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

even

before

that

snail's

through

and spotted

popular. ;-)

come

the

out.

outside.

outside,

The

'em

the

This morning around 6:30 I wanted to let one of our dogs out for a pee and then get the paper. Looked through the window, the fox was just coming by and we looked at each other for many seconds. Almost every year one from the new litter is more brazen than the other 2-3. He or she would come up to us to just a few feet when we work in the yard, look what we are doing, and play supervisor.

isn't

A friend in Germany had that also for the toilet in a basement office. So everything had to be pumped up, you know what I mean. Occasionally after a "major deposit" the pump croaked and that was a real mess to fix.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

even

before

that

snail's

through

and spotted

popular. ;-)

come

the

out.

outside.

outside,

handler. The

'em

through a

the

the

We have a family of coyotes in Glen Canyon now, a couple of blocks from my house, in the heart of San Francisco. I stared one down once, beautiful animal.

isn't

water.

I've replaced the pump once already. We have a liquids-only policy for that one.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

these

even

before

that

snail's

through

and spotted

popular. ;-)

come

the

out.

outside.

outside,

handler. The

Check 'em

through a

the

the

isn't

water.

Duly noted.

Our house is built in a former pond bottom, and the back yard is below the level of the street drain opposite the house. There's an 8-inch storm drain that goes from the bottom of the garden, round the house, across the front yard, and about 300 feet down the hill under the street, until it meets up with the street drain.

Makes for entertaining roto-rooting. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

these

even

before

But that

snail's

through

and spotted

popular. ;-)

then come

able to

the

out.

outside.

outside,

handler. The

Check 'em

through a

the

the

isn't

water.

I made a discovery a couple of weeks ago, probably well-known but not previously to me. The kitchen sink drain clogged up somewhere far downstream, past my snake reach. There's a cleanout trap that's inaccessable, which is where I suspect things build up.

We were about to call a plumber when I figured I'd give it one more try. Here's the trick: fill both sides of the double sink with warm water. Use an inverted bowl or something to block the non-disposal side, push hard, and turn on the disposal. It's a serious water pump, and it popped the block clean away.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

even

before

that

snail's

through

and spotted

popular. ;-)

come

the

out.

outside.

outside,

handler. The

Check 'em

through a

the

the

We have them in our "back yard". Though I've never seen them, I can hear them in the woods directly behind me. The deer aren't so skittish, nor are the turkeys. A neighbor found bear (baer?) scat around the corner from me.

isn't

water.

Grinder pumps should be reliable. Our basement bathroom is roughed in but I don't see any advantage to a fifth bathroom for two people, so I doubt I'll ever finish it. ;-)

Reply to
krw