Round trip conversion efficiency of electrolytic hydrogen production

Just a few years ago, regular Joe could not buy a fool sell... Is that still the case or do you have to be a large business or university ?

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Or a high temperature (over 1200 C) 4th generation nuclear reactor that can directly generate hydrogen without involving electricity or electrolysis.

Just imagine the screaming when the greenies learn that their hydrogen car run on hydrogen generated in a nuclear reactor :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

Coca-Cola is a thermodynamic loser in comparison to water. It's way more cost-effective from an energy point of view to drink a gallon of water than to drink a gallon of Coca-Cola. They both have essentially the same hydration value.

Coca-Cola makes a lot of money.

Reply to
bitrex

I think a global equatorial solar collection and power distribution scheme solves all the problems.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Business 101: buy cheap in bulk, sell high. In principle the conversion efficiency is irrelevant so long as someone is willing to pay a bit more for what you're selling, than what you lost paying for it and in the conversion process.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Good luck in your business.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Drinking any quantity of Coke is insane. Mixing a little with good rum is wonderful.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's right; sodium electrolysis produces Cl2 and H2. I'd forgotten.

Aluminum refinery, then. Isn't aluminum typically produced where hydroelectric power is plentiful and cheap?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Why not just do this?

mrdarrett

I actually discovered a way, using a secret catalyst, to directly convert water and electricity into all types of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, in a variety of tasty flavors! I hope it's patentable.

But I'm a Pepsi guy anyway. Yes, I know that makes me a misfit.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Actually, the smuggled Mexican Cokes are great. They use real sugar.

The Safeway house brand cola is good. I think that the standard USA Coke is gummy and has too much cinnamon flavor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That patent is only workable if electricity is too-cheap-to-meter. It describes processes for scavenging small concentrations of CO2 in air and water, so it needs large collection apparatus. It then duplicates an oil-refinery cracking and hydrogenation apparatus (big centralized facility) with extra steps for digesting CO2, but ignores any and all possible toxic byproducts.

In short, it's a nice recipe, but "the rest of the problem is just chemical engineering".

Reply to
whit3rd

I'm pretty sure I saw that for sale in the supermarket a while back, though? I don't think you have to smuggle it....just pay a bit more.

I like prune juice. A warrior's drink.

Reply to
bitrex

It would be a cool way to make precursors to plastics if you were stranded on a desert island with a nuclear power plant, but no access to natural petroleum...

Reply to
bitrex

No. Pour your Coke away. Rum and Falernum is the thing, Rum and Coke is a very poor imitation.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Agreed, yep, requires plentiful, cheap electricity.

Reply to
mrdarrett

Normal people could buy toy fuel cells...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Just mine the sun.

Reply to
krw

Must be NAFCA.

Dang, don't do that! I just had dinner.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sounds vile to me. But that's just me.

Too bad no known liquor mixes well into root beer. I've tried it.

But try this: a couple of tablespoons of 10 Cane over a big scoop of Haagen-Dzas vanilla bean ice cream. Sort of Bananas Foster without the hassle of cooking bananas.

lunatic fringe electronics