ROM contents of MC68HC11G5FN1?

The 68HC11G5 has 16K of ROM. Presumably, the ROM was hard coded at the factory. I say that because it isn't EPROM or EEPROM, the package is windowless, and I can find no information about programming it.

I'm also assuming that the suffix, FN1, would tell me what the ROM contents are but I can find no information about that either. The chip is obsolete, I guess.

The only thing I can think of that may be in the ROM is Motorola's BUFFALO monitor. Can someone confirm or deny my suspicion?

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:01:44 +0800, "bruce varley" wroth:

The reason I asked is that all my development hardware is for the "normal" 52 pin quad packages and the '11G5 comes in a larger 84 pin package. It's got non-multiplexed address and data busses along with some other enhancements.

I was trying to avoid getting a new system just for the bigger chip unless it had something really neat inside. Otherwise I would have just plugged it in and asked it what it was.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

I run my own OPSYS/dev environment for HC11, but once I had to interface with a device incorporating BUFFALO. I added some brief notes on the topic, which I can hardly understand myself now, to my reference docs. Here is a snippet that you might be able to get something out of, sorry I can't make it clearer. Jump to the addresses and see if anything comes back. IIRC, the com settings are 96,8,n,1. Good luck

The Motorola BUFFALO opsys resides in ROM at 0E000H. Generally, devices with BUFFALO also have EEPROM at 0B600H. The reset vector points to the start of ROM, 0E000. The first 3 instructions in ROM are:

LDX #100AH BRCLR 0,X 1 BUFEXEC ; If PE0 low, go to buffalo start JMP 0F600H ; else go to EEPROM start BUFEXEC: .............

Reply to
bruce varley

FN1 in 'hc11s usually means the package type (PLCC) temperature range 0-70C and the '1' means an E clock speed of 1MHz.

I don't know the contents of the ROM - the 'E' chips that I'm familiar with have a 'B' suffix before the FN to indicate Buffalo.

HTH

Trev

Reply to
Trevor

Normally those letters indicate the package type and max clock rate.

Assuming you can control MODA and MODB pins, you can power up in bootstrap mode. That allows you to boot-load a "talker" or ROM dumper program into RAM, which can show you the entire contents of your ROM.

I don't maintain it any more, but my DB11 'HC11 debugger has the ability to do this, and to disassemble the code direct from ROM. I never finished the Windows port, but it runs on several *nix's. Google for it, or search polyplex.org/cjh.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath