Rheostat/potentiometer needed

I am designing a prototype branding iron for wood, at present 600 watts of heating element at 240 v. Needed is a rheostat for control, can anybody tell me what type, rating (ohms ?) etc i require and where to obtain them.

Reply to
david

I think it might be simpler to use a normal lamp dimmer, assuming you are on 240v AC,

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I am designing a prototype branding iron for wood, at present 600 watts

** No you don't.

A common lamp dimmer ( triac based ) is what you need.

Some are designed to go in line with the cable supplying the lamp or similar appliance.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That looks definitive Phil , triac means ? So i can ask with confidence at the wholesalers. Regards David

Reply to
David

"David"

** Triac = semiconductor switching device used in nearly all lamp dimmers.
** Just get a basic dimmer rated at 600 watts or more.

Hardware sections of many large stores have them.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This was answered yesterday in alt.engineering.electrical Please do not be so impatient or correctly crosspost so that you see all you respondants.

-- John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Reply to
John G

Hello John The real problem was i posted that in another email address/sign in with Google, not one i normally use with a bookmark so i have not seen those replies, incompetence on my part, no malice intended. Regards David

Reply to
David

For an initial design, you might want to use a variac. That will make it easy to calculate the power you are putting into the heater. 600W is going to do some serious branding.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT