Real time software filter

We are monitoring atmospheric VLF's via a large coil and would like to do away with the hardware low pass and 50Hz notch filters.

Since the amplified signal is being observed on PC anyway, is there any commercial software that will perform the above function while still allowing the filtered signal to be viewed in real time?

Ken Leader

Reply to
Ken Leader

Several real time filters here:

miso

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:06:41 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@estrech.com (Ken Leader) wrote in :

There are software filters for on the PC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Much of the software for ham radio using sound cards will do what you want. Start with googling "ocky sdr ham softrock"

Steve

Reply to
osr

Depending on how big the 50 Hz is, you can pay a lot in dynamic range for the convenience of filtering after digitizing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Typically when you do a system like this you want to filter somewhat (or a lot!) going into the analog to digital conversion -- your 50Hz signal is going to be HUGE compared to anything else, which means that you'll have to seriously reduce the gain going into your PC to avoid clipping, which means that you'll seriously reduce your signal, which (since your PC's A to D conversion introduces noise) means your SNR will go seriously down.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

If you are interested in the atmospheric phenomena, you should stay at least in few hundred meters from power lines.

Then the observed signal consists mainly of EMI created by PC.

It is not big deal to make a filter which cancels AC frequency and its harmonics, still man made EMI will be dominant at the frequences up to

100kHz or so.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Many years ago (BC, before CAD schematic capture), I did a design for Lightning Location and Protection (Tucson), for a network of small airports to track thunderstorms.

I don't recall any VLF involved. However I'll dig thru my paper archives and see what I can find. ...Jim Thompson

Obama thinks the term "bully pulpit" actually means "pulpit bully"

If you sample synchronous to the power line frequency, a simple comb filter would notch it.

is one of the major websites for this kind of stuff, though the designs are quite dated. Much better parts exist than what they use.

Reply to
miso