Re: Radio Controlled Toy

[disregard quote arrows]

***

> > The following is a transcript of the audio that appears in my video on > youtube >
> > The video contains a reasonable summary of the stage I am up to on my > project. It is taking quite a long time. The video is about 60MB if one > intends > to download it. I have tried to understand the circuit but I am still > unable. > Any input would be appreciated. > > *** > > I am attempting to replicate some of the functions of a radio control car > using electronic components which are locally available. > > This car seems to be the simplest type that I can find. The car moves > forward when the button is pressed the first time and then in a circle > when > pressed the second time. The motion in a circle is achieved mechanically > so > the direction of the motor is all that changes. > > I have reverse engineered this toy. First I disassembled the car and the > transmitter and copied the copper track side of the boards onto pieces of > paper. I flipped over the board and worked out the positions of the > components in relation to the tracks, recording the values of the > components wherever possible. > > Upon consultation with people from the sci.electronics.design newsgroup, > I made the assumption that the transistor which is labelled 1702L PM20 was > a Philips ED1702L after obtaining the datasheet. >
> > The transmitter and receiver circuit both work on 6V input so I soldered > voltage regulators to the circuits which were able to be connected to > plugpacks. I later bought a variable power supply for easier > experimentation. I bought an oscilloscope to study the signal and voltage > levels at different parts of the transmitter circuit. I also used > multimeters to measure DC voltages. > > I could not identify a red component in the transmitter. I assumed that it > was an inductor based on class A power amplifiers that I have seen which > use an inductor in the collector output stage to create a voltage swing > centered around the value of the DC supply voltage. The component could > also > be an inductor/capacitor combination as is present in tank circuits to > select > a required frequency. In order to measure an inductance I needed an > inductance measuring device. I bought a multimeter that had such a > function > but it did not have a low enough setting to measure this inductance. I > found > a circuit that purported to measure values between 3 microhenries and 7 > milli > henries in the ARRL handbook for the radio amateur. It may also be found > at >
I > constructed > this circuit on some stripboard and despite my use of ceramic capacitors > rather than monolithic capacitors as stated, the circuit did not seem to > work > as advertised. The circuit oscillates and then passes created signals > through > a 74HC132 integrated circuit until a signal may be read by a digital > voltmeter. > > Instead I bought a kit from Altronics that was able to measure inductance > easily. I desoldered the red component and soldered some longer leads to > enable the connection to the connection posts on the meter. The meter gave > a > value of 2.56 microhenries for the inductor. > > The final component that required description was a ferrite cored inductor > near the antenna. The dimensions that I measured (using a ruler with > millimeter gradings) were a radius of 4mm and a coil length of 5.5mm. > There > were 24 and three quarter turns of enamelled copper wire. Using a version > of Wheeler's formula that I found on the internet > L=(0.394*r^2*n^2)/(9r+10b) > microHenries (where r is radius, n is number of turns and b is length of > the > coil), I found the inductance to be 4.244 microHenries. Perhaps I should > also > have used the altronics meter to confirm this result, but I haven't. I > bought > a ferrite core and plastic holder that have been discontinued from Dick > Smith > Electronics (Australia's answer to Radio Shack). This plastic holder was > thinner than the original so I performed calculations to try to match this > inductance with 0.125mm thickness enamelled copper wire. I settled on 35.5 > winds after performing the necessary algebra and spreadsheet calculations. > I > created the winding by using a glue gun to hold the wire in place then I > wrapped some sticky tape around the windings. > > Original > > V+ ---+ 6VDC ** > | | E * > o | B * > / | C * > o ** > | > +-----+--[L1]--+------+-----+-------+ > | | | | | | > | [10K] [Xtal] | [30pF] [100pF] > | | | /c | | > [10nF] +--------+----| | +-----[L2]---Antenna > | | \e | | > | | | | | > | | +-----+ | > | | | | > | [5K1] [100R] [50pF] > | | | | > Gnd---+-----+---------------------+-------+ > > L1 is 2.56 microHenrys. L2 is a set of windings to decrease the size of > the > antenna 24.75 windings. Xtal is set at 27.145MHz > > Altered > > V+ ---+ 6VDC ** > | | C * > o | B * > / | E * > o ** > | > +-----+--[L1]--+------+-----+-------+ > | | | | | | > | [10K] [Xtal] | [33pF] [120pF] > | | | /c | | > [10nF] +--------+----| | +-----[L2]---Antenna > | | \e | | > | | | | | > | | +-----+ | > | | | | > | [5K1] [100R] [56pF] > | | | | > Gnd---+-----+---------------------+-------+ > > I was unable to find exact matches for the capacitors so I altered them to > be higher than the original values. I replaced the 2.56 microHenry red > component with a fixed value 2.2 microHenry inductor. I created an antenna > similar to the one on the original toy by wrapping some 0.9mm picture > hanging > wire around a coathanger wire until 20cm length was achieved. > > I tried to find a similar transistor from a list within the catalogue > based > on the maximum power dissipation, the maximum voltage across the collector > emitter, maximum collector current and similar Hfe. I decided that the > BC338 had the closest values for each of these. > > +------+------+----+-----+-------+-+--------+ > | |PD@25C|VCEO|IC |Hfe |@|IC(cont)| > +------+------+----+-----+-------+-+--------+ > |ED1702|625mW |25V |500mA|132-189|@|100mA | Original > +------+------+----+-----+-------+-+--------+ > |BC338 |625mW |30V |800mA|100-630|@|100mA | Replacement > +------+------+----+-----+-------+-+--------+ > > Understanding the circuit operation is difficult. I tried to find a > similar > circuit with a good description in the literature. For a time I believed > the > circuit to be a pierce oscillator minus the capacitor in the feedback > path. > Oscillators are classed by the connection of the feedback network at the > output and the way the feedback network is connected to the input. In > order > to understand the circuit I need to know where the input is coming from > and > where the output is. It seems to me that the output is at the collector, > where the crystal sits providing a kick to the circuit. The 30pF capacitor > directs the output to the input at the emitter. > > I have measured the signals at both input and output and found that there > is a > phase shift. In an oscillator circuit there is supposed to be a total > phase shift > of 0. The gain also needs to be equal to 1 at this point. Because this > circuit has > input at the emitter and output at the collector, it should be a common > base > configuration, but I do not see a capacitor to ground the AC signal > attached > to the base. > > Books about oscillators typically only describe the wien bridge, > phase-shift, > twin-T, Colpitts, Clapp, Hartley, Armstrong and then a few crystal > oscillators, none of which is similar to this. > > I found some books from the Australian Department of Civil Aviation to be > enlightening but it suggests that there are practicals which may be > performed > of which I do not have a copy. Instead a book by Patrick and Fardo called > "Electricity and Electronics" provided a circuit I could use to measure > the > input and output characteristics of the transistor. I attempted this but I > think I may have had the transistor around the wrong way for some of the > tests. The notion in these books is that the transistor may be described > mathematically as a 4 terminal device. If I could describe the crystal > also, > perhaps I could understand how this circuit works. > > Regardless of my lack of understanding I connected the circuit together, > turned it on and found that it was capable of changing the direction of > the > motor within the car. However something smells hot on the system and I am > reluctant to keep it turned on for very long in case something catches on > fire. > My next step is to work out what is getting hot (my thoughts are the > transistor > or the output inductor). > > I have taken apart a few other radio controlled toys to see how similar > they are > to this toy. More elaborate toys have directional controls for the wheels > which > are controlled by a second motor. A walkie talkie also makes use of a > crystal > oscillator, but I have not studied these in depth yet. > > I was unable to find copies in libraries of any of the books mentioned in > the > newsgroup sci.electronics.design. I found a book by an author of one of > these > books but it was not particularly well written so it has not persuaded me > to > buy the book sight unseen. > > *** > > Steven Cooke >

Steven Cooke