Re: OT: Is this question too challenging for a BSEE graduate?

> I routinely use the following question to test candidates for EE or TE > positions. For many years, it continues to stump all but one of many. > Is it really that difficult to solve? > >

> or > >
> > I see two ways to solve it. The preferred method is to use Ohm's law > and nodal analysis without regard to the value of +VDC. Another method > is to assign a value to +VDC and solve it that way; I find that method > lame. Is this question, or test, too challenging for a BSEE graduate? > > For entertainment only, I invite any of you to provide the solution > using only nodal analysis without consideration of the value of +VDC > (showing or explaining your work). There are bonus points that have no > value for calculating the exact equivalent resistance.

Then make your challenge on the proper newsgroup: news:sci.electronics.design which is where you'll find the EEs.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

..

Thank you Michael. I was not sure to which sci.electronics.* group I should post. Thanks for adding sci.electronics.design to this thread.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Sheesh! Graduate EEs can't get this? I'm "just a tech," but it took me about 13 seconds to get the answer, assuming I remember correctly that I=E/R:

((Vdc/4)/40) A.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's not asking for I, but Req.

I agree with last poster as (160 * 4000) / (160 + 4000) ohms

But I would not get the answer under pressure, in an interview. I guess I am one of the bad EEs.

Reply to
linnix

Since R2R1 is a voltage divider, the voltage on U1+ will be:

+VDC * R1 U1+ = ----------- R1 + R3

Now, since the voltage on U1- must be equal to the voltage on U1+, and since R(Q1)R3 is another voltage divider,

(+VDC * R3) - ((U1+) * R3) R(Q1) = ---------------------------- U1+

For the value, since the ratio of R2:R1 = 3 and the voltage across R1 and R3 are equal, the ratio of R(Q1) to R3 must also be 3, making the FET's resistance 3 * R3 = 120 ohms.

--
JF
Reply to

*Real* EEs only use nodal analysis where there isn't an easier alternative. 30 seconds inspection gives R effective = 160, in parallel with 4k = 153.85 ohms.

There's another issue, though. Depending on choice of JFET (most, actually), the gate can go positive with respect to the source.

Nobody with any sense would use a JFET here. Rather a naïve example.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It was the equivalent resistance of the *whole programmable load* that was asked for.

I did it this way:

The voltage at u1 + input is 1/(3+1)*VDC =VDC/4

Feedback will make the voltage across R3 also VDC/4, hence the current in Q1 and R3 will be VDC/(4*40*) = VDC/160

The resistance of that branch is therefore 160 ohms.

The whole load looks like 160ohms in parallel with 4000 ohms =

4000*160/(4000+160) = 153.85 ohms.

See my remarks in a previous post about Q1 gate going positive of its source.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

RosemontCrest wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

No, it's trivial.

Since the voltage at the inputs of the opamp is 0.25 * Vdc, the JFET drain/source current should be Vdc/160, or an equivalent resistance of 160 ohms. The divider is in parallel.

So..

Req = 160 || 4000 ~= 153.8 ohms.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

--
"it's the network..."           "The Journey is the reward"
speff@interlog.com  Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

To be honest I felt it wasn't obvious what the programmable load was. It's also unusual to call a ground referenced load - a load, although I agree it is, it does add to the confusion.

Also +VDC looks like a fixed voltage.

I would make it easier to interpret by saying:

VDC VDC | | circuit equiv to resistor | | GND GND

Apologies for non-fixed font if this gets messed up

Reply to
Fredxx

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news:Xns9E1A6190B2594speffinterlogcom@69.16.186.50:

One of the "issues" with this circuit lies in the interpretation of "ideal" for the op-amp. Here, I (and others) have ASS-U-MEd that it has infinite gain and zero offset voltage in zero input bias current, but also that it will swing negative using the single

+12/0 supply (for example, it might have a built-in charge-pump voltage converter). Most real op-amps won't do that, they'll swing down to somewhere near the lower rail. In which case, with a JFET, the op-amp will not be able to balance until the current exceeds Idss for the JFET. It also won't work much above Idss (regardless of the op-amp functionality) because the gate will begin to conduct, so it would have only a narrow range of operation over which it "looks" like a fixed resistor.

It will also behave differently if "+VDC" happens to be a negative voltage.

I don't think this is a very good "quiz" question, it leaves too many questions open and uses non-standard nomenclature. The proper answer to this one is probably "what are you trying to do?", the subtext being "whatever it is, this probably isn't going to do it".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

--
"it's the network..."           "The Journey is the reward"
speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info :  http://www.speff.com
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I might be dead wrong, but it is a SUPERB question. It directly addresses the question... "Does the applicant UNDERSTAND what goes on in a stable op-amp circuit?"

The bottom line is that the "circuit" doesn't need the least bit of "analysis" at all. If you understand that, in a stable circuit, the inverting and non-inverting inputs have the same voltage on them, the solution is utterly trivial.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

--
My take on it was that he was looking for the equivalent resistance of
the FET, which is 120 ohms.

That was my initial response, where the FET was the "programmable load", hence my other post.

Reply to
Fredxx

90B2594speffinterlogcom@69.16.186.50:

It is a good quiz for fun, but not a good interview question. What does it prove? The candidate is a good quiz solver? It has no real engineering use. Are they hiring quiz solver or engineer?

Reply to
linnix

e.

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

Sorry. Q1 is a MOSFET in the test I give applicants. I replicated the circuit at home and erroneously picked the first N-channel FET I found.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

--
The question has come up as to whether you wanted the total resistance
of the circuit (R1+R2 in parallel with R3+R(Q1)) or just the eqivalent

Can you clear that up, please?
Reply to
John Fields

TE

y.

urr...

hod

hod

e?

no

tive.

=3D

=A0 =A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

The total resistance of the entire circuit.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Really quite a trivial problem. Maybe the Yahoo OP only sees Yahoo-level applicants ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I've never seen any of the OP's posts, except as quoted text. I guess I shall have to add him/her to my Google whitelist.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It's a great interview question. It shows whether the candidate can cut through the clutter and see the basic principle involved. A good engineer needs to be able to do that.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck