Re: OT: Inline sprinkler valves, can they be tilted?

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:12:54 -0700, Joerg wrote: [snip]

> > Not easy in this case. Very tight crawl space, existing discharge side > goes underground, designer house (no right angles...), tons of rocks, the > works. I just want to be done with it soon :-) > > Plus next week there's a project. Plumbers often turn down such crawl > jobs. Last time we hired one he got stuck ...

Look for the vacuum breaker and plumb off there. It has to be outside the foundation and should be on a pipe 18-24 in above the ground (depending on local code). Put the valves where you want and re-plumb your laterals.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

I am actually thinking about that. However, that would require another two crawls so I'll probably build another crawl space entrance first. My back is not good and I am concerned of getting another sciatic nerve spasm while far out in the crawl space. That would not be cool.

For safety (and to ask for water turn-on etc.) we used two-way radios while I was down there. Could also be very handy if a rattler shows up. Yesterday a guy told us a story from Florida where they padded their college budgets by doing stuff like that. They tossed a coin who'll go in. Then Joe called on the radio and said "I am not alone down here". He found a huge snake coiled up in a corner.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I _hate_ crawling under houses. I remodeled my Mother's bathroom and pulled up the sub-floor. It was easier and better on my back than crawling through almost no space below. And where she lives in S.E. New Mexico, rattlers where a big issue along with all other kinds of critters. PEX tubing can be your friend. Completely different than that crap they pushed back in the 80's (I think it was).

I've seen one setup where they used flex tubing from a main manifold to various valves placed out in the yard. They just hid the flex tubing in the rocks and other vegetation. They used a couple of large spikes to mount the valves. However, this was for a drip system and freeze was not an issue, so keep that in mind. Rainbird and Toro sites have a lot of info on the valves and plumbing.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

My system has buried 1/2" tubing from the valves, then "T" into drip lines which are just under the decorative rock.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Out there you also have to be worried about scorpions. Tubing may be an option but this is serious one-inch stuff here.

We've got two drip loops as well but this older regular irrigation part is nicely buried lines all over. Most go deep into the ground after the valves. Freeze has become an issue over the last years becaseu somehow global warming didn't happen in northern California.

But it ends pretty much with general layout guidance, repair instructions and how to build manifold. Which I kind of know after all those years.