Re: OT: How much of a threat is Huawei?

Wondering what (mainly US and UK) electrical and electronics engineers

>think about the Huawei issues. You know, like "Is it a threat?" and so >on. Just so I can have a better understanding of the so-called news.

It's a very good question. Unfortunately, I can't find any actual technical reasoning for opposing Huawei; just an awful lot of emotive hot air, such as this Newsweek piece penned by one Nigel Farage:

Anyway, I don't think this is the best possible group for this question. Try one of the telecoms ones if you have no luck here.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

John Doe wrote in news:r3ij84$9gp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I think that they should submit every chip and every assembly they get used in for complete inspection by US security officials.

What the fears are is that they could have back doors to a device in a network, and we would not even 'see' it.

Otherwise, yes, they are an extreme threat. These are the guys whom have no problem stealing IP. Did you even see their jets? They copy more stuff than the Russians do. All after they steal it.

I say the free world should say a resounding NO to their products.

China should also have to pay billions in reparations to the entire globe for the way they mishandled the novo corona virus outbreak.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That Cursitor Doom can't find any technical reasons to worry about Huawei doesn't come as a surprise. If could find them he wouldn't be able to understand them.

The problem is smart phones are very complicated beasts, and you could bury pretty much anything you liked inside their hardware.

If we could write probably correct software, we could probably analyse hardware in enough detail to know what it did - and could do - but we can't do either.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Cursitor Doom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

emotive

'technical reasonong'? Do you remember the HUGE Supermicro motherboard hack debacle? Supposedly there are chips they are putting on motherboards that allow some way to remotely hack the machine.

I would not trust network equipment designed and made in China. Even US made designs being built there can get "modified" unless they get well vetted by the contractor.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah! And Mexico will pay for a fence.

Reply to
John S

You lack both imagination, then, AND historic knowledge. Huawei has both falsified export papers to bypass Iran sanctions on US goods sales, and installed back doors in some of their delivered merchandise. The export issues are controversial, but the back door software hooks are... somewhat chilling.

China insisted Microsoft open the secrecy on some of their operating system code before allowing purchases, and it isn't entirely unreasonable for a nation (the US for example, but others have an interest as well) to want to openly discuss the innards of a telecom network node before accepting it as part of the national communication infrastructure.

The Greece incident, is well-studied. Whoever did it, got away with it.

Reply to
whit3rd

Actually I'd say China have handled it as well as could possibly be expected, everything considered.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They should have taken a cue from Trump and stopped it by building a wall. Yeah, Trump can show them a thing or two about containment. It's not like we are going to have that virus run rough shod over us. Trump just said t he other day that we have 18 cases and it is headed for zero.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Cursitor Doom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You mean their Trumpesquian propensity to lie? That consideration?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Then let idiots like Larkin believe his stupid, fact free mouthings.

My internal lifelong chain of events monitoring carbon based computer sees it as a yet to come huge problem.

Financial markets will crash, not because of fear of the virus, but because of fear of what viral induced factory shutdowns will cause. And the reality of what shutdowns do. Better have a nice new laptop and docking station at hand, because the electronics industry could easily grind to a halt for many products.

Nobody should trivialize what is happening to us right now.

The shit is gonna hit the fan and no political horseshit is going to morph it into anything it is not.

It is not merely going to kill people. It can nearly kill our entire current infrastructure for many things. Agricultural produce may grow fine, but subsequent human handling has already proven to kill folks. Just think if this virus were spread by mere touch.

It will also upset the shipping market, because now we have to look at what comes in even if it is not a living person.

As it gets worse, we need to think about how things work when a market crash happens.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Trump is a pathological liar with his head up his ass. But, you know that.

Reply to
John S

Actually, the Chinese have built their wall already long ago. Unlike The Trumpet, they didn't talk about it, they really did it. A wonderful wall, a Great Wall.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Yeah, anyone can build a wall. But like Trump's wall won't stop illegal immigration, the Chinese Great Wall didn't keep out the Tatars, Mongols and Manchus.

Trump is not just talking, even if that is what he does best... or worst depending on how you look at it. He finds ways to get stuff done, when he manages to get something slid by the courts. Too bad much of what he has tried to do is illegal.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news:efa67b25-36f0- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I cannot tell at times if you are for the dangerous buffoon and his criminal administration or against it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It shouldn't matter should it?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Yes, Huawei must be assumed to be able and determined to access any data that flows through any of their devices, anywhere in the world. Exactly as the US has done for many decades with their own.

The US is especially worried about this new global challenger to their long-standing dominant role as the biggest thieves, cheats and builders of back-doored "security" devices. Read about Boeing v Airbus, or Crypto AG sometime. I knew about it in the 1990s, but there has been a substantial document release recently.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath