Re: OT: Brushless cordless drill less powerful or less efficient in reverse?

Is a brushless motor cordless drill likely to be less powerful or

> less efficient when used in reverse? In other words... Would the > specifications of the drill likely not fully apply when it is being > used in reverse?

If it's got helical cut gears that's a possibility.

Jasen Betts

John Doe wrote in news:qngfvc$r7f$1 @dont-email.me:

Neither should show a difference. Brushed motor used alway in forward *might* have the front edges of the commutator bars rounded, which could very slightly affect certain elements forward and reverse enough to call it a difference, but power shouldn't be one of them. Usually just the sound it makes.

Gears also can get "worn in" (out actually)and display a 'preferred direction' noisier in one than the other, and sometimes a bit of power loss too if they were badly mismatched to start with.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

tirsdag den 8. oktober 2019 kl. 14.57.16 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

the brushes/commutator timing with regards to the poles can be altered so it runs different in one direction

a simplistic brushless controller could do the same with the hall sensors, a smarter brushless controller will probably alter timing in software to get the best performance at any speed/direction

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If it is designed to run in both directions, it will run the same both ways.

If it was designed to run in only one direction, it may not run at all in the other.