Re: DIY electromagnet under £100: Disappointing results

>>> If an electromagnet is thermally limited, and you plan to fill the

I think it's much worse than that. I used Reg Edwards (SK) program at

named "Multilay" to calculate the lengths of wire. Bunch of great programs. Thanks Reg. From Multilay Coil Inside dia 1" Outside Dia 8" Length 8"

400 turns of 16 gauge wire is 470 ft of wire @ .004 ohms/ft = 1.88 ohms 100 turns of 10 gauge wire id 117.5 ft of wire @.001 ohms/ft = .117 ohms

So; the current ratio will be 16 to 1. Therefore 16 x 100turns = 1600 or for #16 wire 1 x 400turns =400 The amp/turns is 4 time higher for the # 10 vs. # 16 I got lazy and short on time, so I may not have explained this well. Let me know if it doesn't make sense. Mike

Reply to
amdx

You\'re talking equal voltages across both coils, not equal power
dissipation.
Reply to
John Fields

The op has a 12 volt power supply. joe#somewhere.org was relating 400 turns of #16 to 100 turns of #10 because it fit in the same area. The op needs to measure out about 350 ft of #10 wire and and put it into the proper magnetic material form, hook it up and hope his power supply holds up. I think it will even take a little time to warm up. One shape factor. #10 15 turns per layer 7 layers #16 30 turns per layer 14 layers

0.7" tall and 4" diameter. We still don't know what he's pickup. Mike
Reply to
amdx

--
Utter nonsense.

We weren\'t talking about driving the coil with a constant voltage, we
were talking about driving it with a source which would cause it to
generate the magnetic field we wanted.
Reply to
John Fields

Well not quite, the op started the thread with, "Approach #1: I bought a 500W ATX power supply and used the 12V 35A lead to energise an electromagnet."

350 ft of #10 will draw about 35 amps at 12 volts. We have since learned he doesn't have a 12v 35 amp power supply. If you want to criticize my response, tell where my numbers are wrong. So I can learn from you. I did make a mistake (I don't know if you know where). This sentence,

Should have been at the end of my letter. The One Shape Factor section was in reference to the 400 turns and 100 turns of #16 and #10 wire.

John I'm here to learn, but to say something is, Utter nonsense is Utterly useless. Way below what I know you can do. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Hi John, It's been about three days since you made your "utter nonsense" comment, You still have not shown where any of what I posted was wrong. I'm waiting for a thoughtful response. John, your response was a bit out of character for you, were you just having a bad day, and short on time? Mike

Reply to
amdx

--
Both.