Planar transfomer for high power smps

As a follow-up from my previous posts on the smps for a high power audio amp that I'm developing, the following came to light.

There's a bit of a long story behind this that I'll cover elsewhere but I noted that one problem with my transformer was higher leakage inductance than I'd ideally like. Some of that is likely simply due to hand-winding etc and similar stuff that affects such early prototypes although I've generally had good results with my handwound TXs for flyback supplies though.

Anyway, I'd already noted the interesting properties of planar transformers and got to looking at them again.

The coupling they can offer is apparently phenomenal esp when the printed windings can have interleaved pris and secs.

Has anyone here put such a transformer into production ? Any hints or tips about their practical design would be much appreciated. The use of printed windings esp. w.r.t. safety issues comes to mind as a biggy.. I've been using the small amounts of triple insulated litz wire I could obtain previously for my 'conventional' transformer design btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

how high - express as % of Lmag....

do you interleave your windings? that helps a lot.

have you considered a pair of flux-cancelling windings to cancel out leakage?

yeah, but interwinding capacitance is much higher, and winding resistance is invariably a problem - the winding area utilisation is poor in planar converters.

more than 100,000 planar transformers from yours truly :)

Insulation is the real issue for HV inputs, which I have not done with planar magnetics. Mine have all been 36-72V or 24V input.

Reply to
Terry Given