Ping Jeff Lieberman

Is there any OEM source for laptop enclosures? Specifically the dreaded Dell.

I got another hand-me-down Dell laptop where the LCD and guts are fine but the cheap plastic case and keyboard is cracked and beat to hell. I can get replacement keyboards on Amazon.com, sometimes spare LCD bezels and backplates turn up on eBay but was wondering if there's any source to buy the whole thing plus screws in one fell swoop to do a transplant

Reply to
bitrex

Den fredag den 23. februar 2018 kl. 18.14.24 UTC+1 skrev bitrex:

find a dead one to use a as spares?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Meh, there are a zillion different models and it's usually a smashed LCD that are the dead ones, and resellers know a machine with a good processor/mobo is worth more than I'd like to pay

Reply to
bitrex

There's this old time wonder-material. Duct tape. (ducks)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've used Bondo before, too!

Reply to
bitrex

Grin, I used JB Weld on a crack in the engine block of my old tractor. It's been working for >10 years now. (previously it was pissing water into the oil)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

JB Weld putty is the poor man's machine shop. I use it in protos all the time, though one of these days I'm going to get a Sherline.

(A bit of ultraflat black Krylon #1602 hides a multitude of sins.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sherline? One of these

For ~$3k you can buy a used Bridgeport. (Well maybe you have to wait for the economy to turn down.)

A Bridgeport in every basement, that will be my promise when I run for mayor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, a Bridgeport would be a tough sell around the hacienda, and there isn't enough space here at Burg Frankenstein. A Sherline is small enough to go on a shelf when we're not using it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No or rather not that I know about. If it's under warranty by Dell, Dell will fix it. If it's out of warranty: The Dell authorized service center will fix it, but not sell you parts. The parts that Dell actually will sell to customers is limited to plug-in accessories:

Case parts have to be ordered from a warehouse, which might take a while to arrive and install. Meanwhile, the laptop is down. Out of warranty repair also tends to be expensive. I can't offer any specific recommendations because I do my own repair and am not a Dell authorized service center.

Dell used to sell plastic repair parts to users. You can sometimes get lucky and find these for sale on various web piles. For example:

I buy my plastic case parts on eBay. I've been sold garbage a few times, but in general, I get usable parts. The big headache for me are the slight differences in production revisions that don't quite fit. The Dremel tool and hot melt glue are my friends.

Y'er right about the cracked plastic, but that's what you get if you want fire proof plastic and minimum weight. HP laptops are worse.

Good luck with your unspecified model Dell laptop.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sorry, for the delay in reply, I did manage to find the parts on eBay eventually.

Reply to
bitrex