OT: Why? Using eeePC as digital photo frame with server push...

One add after the other for digital photo frames, pdf book readers, one even more expensive then the other (500 Euro???), so I thought " have a lot of jpg pictures, why not put a eeePC in the living room as digital photo frame, and have the main PC send the slide show?"

So of course everything crahed or did not work (this confirms John Larkin's ideas that all soft is broken ;-) ), especially when I wanted to mix BW and color jpegs..

So wrote something myself, Linux users (MS users need to upgrade to Linux):

Jan Panteltje

photo frame,

color jpegs..

One version of the Fuji Frontier photolab quality colour printer firmware had a curious fault that meant it worked perfectly with any

24bit YCC encoded JPEG but gave a completely surreal random false colour map to pure single channel monochrome 8bit JPEGs (consistent but nothing like an 8 bit greyscale). The effect was highly amusing whilst it lasted.

I suspect at least one JPEG codec still has a quirk when faced with unusually encoded images. The PaintShopPro encoder from v8 onwards is actually terminally broken in chroma subsampling but hardly anyone has noticed. The IJG codec is a pretty good reference JPEG implementation.

MS isn't all that bad. The IJG codec will work on many platforms and a lot of good software uses it.

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Sep 2008 21:43:58 +0100) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

In a first test I managed to get some pics working in ffmpeg by using Imagemagick's 'convert' to first convert from jpg to ppm (RGB format), and then from ppm to jpg again... but it still got into problems with some BW. I used libjpeg.so.62.0.0 for my own program, and simply added code for cinfo.out_color_space == 1, late last night, so simple, worked to my amazement. Now no more need to pre-process via 'convert' other then getting all pics the same size and screen filling on the target screen, and it does create predictable formats, keeps aspect right. It is nice to have all the open source libs, and manuals. There must a be lot of desperate crying users out there trying to do what the soft does not do :-), and being unable to do anything about it. For MS windows I mean.... They then usually get recommended an other $$$$$ application..... In Linux the imagemagick program suite is pretty good for most picture manipulations, and this is one of the first times ffmpeg failed on me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nah. Believe it or not I organize and scale many of my pictures with, gasp, MS-Word. A pretty old version of it to boot. PowerPoint works, too.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:19:22 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

You make a 500 jpeg slideshow of all different jpegs in a few seconds, that streams over the net in real time, or saves as an avi movie, with MS-Word?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not 500 pics, maybe a dozen or so. Never needed more than that. And no movie, no need for that either. More along the lines of "Look, guys, this is how it showed on the scope, then we did this, that and the other thing and the next three pics show a much cleaner signal". I tend to keep things simple :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:36:42 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

MS-Word?

Yes, that is a different audience.... These slideshow[s] I make may be played in a hall, on a digital photo frame, or eeePC, or whatever, over the net if must be, or from some CD or SDcard, or burned to DVD. I dunno much about MS-Word, other then that a simple text in MS-Word format(? whatever that was) IIRC was 100x the length of a normal ASCII file with the same text. I have something called star-office on the PC, last time I used it to print envelopes. It can do presentations too, it is free. Never use it.... LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

MS-Word?

Well, we aren't this fancy :-)

whatever that was)

Absolutamente not. I've got here a module spec for a recent design. Naturally I cannot show it but it's 30 pages, chockful of text, tables, timing diagrams, mechanical sketches, four very busy schematic pages and so on. 802kB. Not bad, eh?

As PDF the files are sometimes a little smaller, sometimes a little larger, but not by much.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Sep 2008 15:00:45 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

whatever that was)

I did mean that if you typed 'hello world' in MS-Word, was it .doc format? then it was very much longer then 11 bytes!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

format(? whatever that was)

Well, yeah, but my work results are usually a little more elaborate than that. And still, it does not require 1/2 a gigabyte to write hello world as Vista does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

You may be lucky with your choice of Word version, but I would caution against using Word for anything with serious numbers of images in - especially if the document will be edited on more than one PC/Word version as may happen in a corporate environment.

The record worst case I have seen was a DOC file with 2MB genuine content and 120MB of orphanned dead wood. The mechanism is unclear but seems to involve a mixture of drag and drop or copy/pasting onto existing images in the document. They now archive them as high quality PDF files now to strip out the dead wood. It reached crisis point when their email system refused to let any reports larger than 50MB through.

Powerpoint is a better choice for that sort of thing. Irfanview isn't a bad free alternative either. Or slideshow from folder if they are just a few images.

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to