OT: where climate chagen might take us.

Some of the African American street proselytizers here can be rather amusing and are pretty talented, they like putting people on the spot and rolling with the oldest trick in the book "Say brother, how many animals did Moses take on the Ark?" then watch their nominally-Christian "victim" start trying to do math

Reply to
bitrex

The standard response should be "do you mean 2 of each species?" If they say "yes", then refer them to Genesis 7:2 If they say "no", then refer them to Genesis 6:19.

Bible statements are like standards: there are so many incompatible ones to choose from.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ummm... it wasn't Moses on the ark. It was Noah.

There are 8.7 million eukaryotic species on our planet give or take 1.3 million. The latest biodiversity estimate, based on a new method of prediction, dramatically narrows the range of 'best guesses', which was previously between 3 million and 100 million. It means that a staggering 86% of land species and 91% of marine species remain undiscovered.

Printing the tickets for getting a ride on the last boat out of town might have been difficult.

I'm still looking for some gopher wood and a tape measure marked in cubits.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

rote:

rote:

of Science

take it seriously.

ons materialize, so it makes no difference.

sation impracticable, and engineer a population crash in consequence, but e xtinction would take a rather more dire catastrophe than anything on offer.

(Antarctica excepted, but we may well warm that up enough to make it survi vable). Beats the pants off the dinosaurs.

s to allay the impending worldwide panic and breakdown of ordered society:

We went to war over 3,000 deaths in New York. I have no doubt what so ever that we would respond to nukes with nukes. If we didn't, the nuclear arse nal would be worthless as everyone would think we'd never use it.

Trump is just the kind of guy to respond to an attack with a bigger attack. .. but then most people and Presidents would tool.

BTW, why on earth would China drop a nuke on any US city? North Korea is t he one we need to worry about and they would never actually attack us eithe r. It would be the ultimate lose-lose situation where we would have many d ead on the left coast and North Korea would no longer exist as a country. North Korea just wants everyone to think they are bad.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

That's rational - from our points of view.

The other side may not be rational and may have significantly different points of view.

One all-too-real example of this is the Brexiteer's statements that "they will do a deal because it is in their (trading) interest to do so". Well, economically that is probably the case - but the EU isn't only interested in a finance/trade; the political/legal side is more important /to them/.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hardly. Paraphrased it says, take two of each species of animal unless it is from a clean species i.e. it can be eaten or offered for sacrifice in which case take 7 pairs. Not very hard to work out

David Eather

y of Science

t take it seriously.

tions materialize, so it makes no difference.

lisation impracticable, and engineer a population crash in consequence, but extinction would take a rather more dire catastrophe than anything on offe r.

et (Antarctica excepted, but we may well warm that up enough to make it sur vivable). Beats the pants off the dinosaurs.

aws to allay the impending worldwide panic and breakdown of ordered society :

er that we would respond to nukes with nukes. If we didn't, the nuclear ar senal would be worthless as everyone would think we'd never use it.

k... but then most people and Presidents would tool.

the one we need to worry about and they would never actually attack us eit her. It would be the ultimate lose-lose situation where we would have many dead on the left coast and North Korea would no longer exist as a country. North Korea just wants everyone to think they are bad.

North Korea doesn't want anybody to think that they are bad, or good for th at matter.

What they want is for everybody to believe that they have nuclear weapons, and the means to deliver them.

Back when Dubbya invaded Irak on the pretext that they were developing weap ons of mass destruction, it was pointed out that the evidence that North Ko rea was developing weapons of mass destruction was a whole lot stronger, bu t that since they actually had nuclear weapons, Dubbya was never going to t ry and invade the place, quite apart from the fact that North Korea hasn't got any oil fields.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Only 5% difference is most surprising.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Er no. Unless you are willing to agree that "/Bibles/ are like standards - there are so many incompatible ones to choose from".

Read Genesis 6:19-22 King James Version (KJV)

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female. 20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive. 21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them. 22 Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

d. =

=
=
=
=

k =

=

ak =

e =

er =

ot =

y =

ss =

u =

nd =

=

me =

I don't get your point. It still parses the same way. And all the =

translations agree - even those with archaic English

Genesis 6:19 (English Standard Version)

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every= =

sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and =

female.

Genesis 6:19 (Amplified Bible)

19 And of every living thing of all flesh [found on land], you shall =

bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they = =

shall be male and female.

Genesis 6:19 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

19 You are also to bring into the ark two of all the living creatures, = =

male and female, to keep them alive with you.

Genesis 6:19 (New International Version 2011)

19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and = =

female, to keep them alive with you.

Genesis 6:19 (New Living Translation, Second Edition)

19 Bring a pair of every kind of animal=E2=80=94a male and a female=E2=80= =94into the boat =

with you to keep them alive during the flood.

Genesis 6:19 (Young's Literal Translation)

19 and of all that liveth, of all flesh, two of every sort thou dost =

bring in unto the ark, to keep alive with thee; male and female are they= .

Genesis 6:19 (New King James Version)

19 And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every = =

sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and =

female.

Genesis 6:19 (King James Version)

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou= =

bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and= =

female.

There are more and more again for the other verses quoted but posting th= em =

to everyone is a bit much ...

-- =

Using Opera's mail client:

David Eather

Que? Two messages ago you stated it was 7 pairs (as per Genesis

7:2). Make up your mind!

But I suppose that's unreasonable, since even the Bible can't keep its story straight between successive chapters.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

don't ever try to learn programing. It looks like you will fall over the simplest if... then or case statement.

AGAIN: All the translations parse the same way.

Take 2 of each animal.

Unless it is a "clean" animal in which case take 7 pairs.

I didn't post the second set of translations because not everyone is interested and the point that the translations have the same meaning was fully made by posting the first set showing the KJV had the same emaning as the others.

end/

David Eather

Except that most of them skip the seven pairs of "clean" animals.

It's exactly that kind of nit-picking difference that software reviews spend most of their time sorting out. I didn't have to sit through many of them, and learned early on that I didn't want to have sit through any more.

It's necessary stuff, like net-list checking on printed circuit artwork used to be, but if you are there to make sure that higher-level stuff has been dealt with it gets horribly tedious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> I didn't post the second set of translations because not everyone is
> interested and the point that the translations have the same meaning was
> fully made by posting the first set showing the KJV had the same emaning
> as the others.
>
> end/
>

> --
bill.sloman

Snort.

You oscillate between the 2 pairs and 7 pairs in alternate statements - just as the Bible does in different chapters.

"There's none so deaf as them's won't hear".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

=
=

he

ou

=
=
=
=

on

=

e =

=

h =

ble

=
=

ut

=

be =

t =

lt =

.

he.

=
=
=
=

If I put 2 pairs it is my mistake it is 2 animals 1 pair

LEARN TO READ! FYI chapter and verse numbers were added in much, much =

latter (centuries latter in fact). It is one big section on animals to =

lock up in an ark, pick and choose a couple of verses and try to make a = =

contradiction is illogical.

Is there anyone else who can't parse those statements to mean

Take 2 of each animal. Unless it is a "clean" animal in which case take 7 pairs. Anyone else?

For the record I have only ever claimed "Take 2 of each animal, unless i= t =

is a "clean" animal in which case take 7 pairs." I have been totally =

consistent.

Hear/here is the other verse you are harping on.

Genesis 7:2 (English Standard Version)

2 Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate= , =

and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate,

Genesis 7:2 (Amplified Bible)

2 Of every clean beast you shall receive and take with you seven pairs,= =

the male and his mate, and of beasts that are not clean a pair of each =

kind, the male and his mate,

Genesis 7:2 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

2 You are to take with you seven pairs, a male and its female, of all t= he =

clean animals, and two of the animals that are not clean, a male and its= =

female,

Genesis 7:2 (New International Version 2011)

2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and i= ts =

mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,=

Genesis 7:2 (New Living Translation, Second Edition)

2 Take with you seven pairs=E2=80=94male and female=E2=80=94of each ani= mal I have =

approved for eating and for sacrifice, and take one pair of each of the = =

others.

Genesis 7:2 (Young's Literal Translation)

2 of all the clean beasts thou dost take to thee seven pairs, a male an= d =

its female; and of the beasts which are not clean two, a male and its =

female;

Genesis 7:2 (New King James Version)

2 You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and = =

his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;=

Genesis 7:2 (King James Version)

2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and = =

his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his =

female.

7 pairs of clean animals, a male and female of the other

-- =

Using Opera's mail client:

David Eather

the

you

=

ca

an,

as

ion

.

le =

ch

"

d =

be

=

ll

alt

m.

=
=

the

=

y =

ny =

k =

=

No they don't skip the seven pairs. I didn't post the other verses (gen = =

7:2) because I was addressing the claim was KJV said something different= =

to other translations. It did not. But to satisfy you:

[...]

I'm not aware of any such claim being made. Can you point to that claim?

There are some bibles which bowdlerise passages, or otherwise omit less convenient bits, but that's not in question here.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why are you quoting the same verses from so many bibles?

The point is that two chapters of the same bible are mutually contradictory.

There are some bibles which bowdlerise passages, or otherwise omit less convenient bits, but that's not in question here.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Perhaps he also wants to show how even different translations of the same verse are contradictory? Many versions say "7 pairs" of clean animals, while the KJV says "7" clean animals.

Now we can move on (or move back?) to the two radically different stories of creation in the Bible, or forward to some of the other inconsistencies.

Reply to
David Brown