OT: where climate chagen might take us.

A review article from the Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Science

It hasn't been paid for by the Koch brothers, so John Larkin won't take it seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Mankind will be dead and gone long before any of those dire predictions materialize, so it makes no difference.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Very unlikely. We might be able to make large scale industrial civilisation impracticable, and engineer a population crash in consequence, but extinction would take a rather more dire catastrophe than anything on offer.

We've worked out how to stay alive pretty much anywhere on the planet (Antarctica excepted, but we may well warm that up enough to make it survivable). Beats the pants off the dinosaurs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

lunatic fringe electronics

This has nothing to do with any introspection nonsense. We can find similar idiocy exploring psychopathic denial.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

This one is going to do them in. You can see they're grasping at straws to allay the impending worldwide panic and breakdown of ordered society:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You might do *something* if you didn't spend all your time googling for doomsday fantasies.

Hey, my capacitive fuel level simulator board layout is done!

lunatic fringe electronics

It's fun to look up expired doomsday predictions. Peak Oil, Erlich, Gore, Club of Rome, all those profiteering idiots.

Apparently "The Population Bomb" caused China's One Child policy, which resulted in atrocities and has imbalanced their demographics.

Good book:

lunatic fringe electronics

Durn. You beat me by one day. Hurumph!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Got a new board layout? Show us!

I like to compare styles.

This one was easy. It's only an 11-page schematic, and it's spacious on our standard board size. Works fine in 6 layers. It's nice to do something not-dense once in a while.

Those four transformers are gigantic, but we have them and they fit. The channels are isolated, and the transformers let us pick off and measure the customer's sinewave excitation.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That would get me shot.

It wouldn't be my style anyways, or at least mostly not mine. I farm out all layouts, only giving placement advice and prescribing critical routing.

Same here, 4-layer and tons of real estate. Mainly because the board doubles as a heatsink.

Remaining isolated is always nice. Less chance for contamination by local EMI. Couldn't do it on my board and there are some high voltages flying around.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

:

Science

e it seriously.

materialize, so it makes no difference.

Fear is the rational reaction to actual threats. Courage is acting despite that fear.

Foolhardiness is the irrational conviction that a threat that is obvious to intelligent people doesn't actually exist, and that is the attitude that J ohn Larkin is a advocating.

Fred Bloggs does strike me as exaggerating the immediate threat of climate change, but climate change is clearly happening, and getting worse. Some co nsequences - like sea level rise - are going to happen quickly, when the re levant ice sheet start sliding off Greenland and Antarctica, and the fact t hat we aren't seeing all that much sea level rise at the moment isn't any k ind of evidence that it isn't going to happen. Sea level rise at the end of the last ice age took place in fits and starts, so it isn't unreasonable t o expect the coming round of sea level rise to be equally eventful.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te:

rote:

of Science

take it seriously.

ons materialize, so it makes no difference.

ation impracticable, and engineer a population crash in consequence, but ex tinction would take a rather more dire catastrophe than anything on offer.

(Antarctica excepted, but we may well warm that up enough to make it surviv able). Beats the pants off the dinosaurs.

to allay the impending worldwide panic and breakdown of ordered society:

The catch is that you don't get to look up correct doomsday predictions.

What John Larkin is incapable of realising that his list confuses a number of different sorts of prediction. Peak oil wasn't any kind of doomsday pred iction - Hubbert's original prediction that US oil production would peak in 1970 was essentially correct for the next 30 years until the rise in the p rice of oil made hydraulic fracturing cost-effective.

published in1968 was a false prediction because it assumed that agricultura l productivity would not rise - essentially Malthus re-written.

Gore hasn't made any doomsday predictions, though he has popularised the sc ience about climate change to a wide audience.

The 1971 Club of Rome predictions were generate by flawed and necessarily o ver-simplified computer model. It's another re-write of Malthus.

The problems that it high-lighted are real, but the real world didn't follo w their computer model.

China hasn't got a lot of spare agricultural capacity. They needed to go th rough their demographic transition fast.

There weren't a lot of atrocities. Every country that has gone through the demographic transition has a demographic that includes a lot more elderly p eople than places with higher fertility and shorter life-spans. This isn't any kind of imbalance - just a different balance.

"Weaving in Fong?s reflections on striving to become a mother herse lf" suggests that this may not be an entirely objective report, and it shou ld be noted that what John Larkin reads seems mostly have been designed to appeal to rich Republicans who want to feel good about themselves, as oppos ed to people who want to learn more about the real world.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Are you saying that if you could have been bothered to design a special purpose transformer, and got it wound in a local coil-winding shop, you could have got away with something smaller?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've got to say, in Australia it is getting very obvious that the climate is changing in a very bad way.

David Eather

Profiteering means only that one makes a profit? That doesn't indicate idiocy. Peak Oil hasn't expired. Your ideas about 'fun' are odd; I find it fun to pick wild blackberries (is that profiteering?).

The policy was to avert Malthusian phenomena like famine; the value of 'balance' in the 'demographics' is likewise unknowable. The 'cultural revolution' in China, on the other hand, is obviously atrocious: in the aftermath, recovery required a large number of Chinese sent abroad to pick up education from offshore. That must have been expensive as well as imbalancing to demographics.

Reply to
whit3rd

China and Russia are angling their lebensraum ambitions eastward. The US has been pretty successfully fractured and they probably feel they have a good chance at making a land grab on the US or Canadian West Coast without too much opposition.

If China were to launch a few tactical nukes at California and Seattle I don't believe the US would have an effective response under Trump, most of his supporters would not be willing to risk WWIII over 50,000 dead San Franciscans. I think the Trump administration at least would do more or less nothing and the US would fracture. China and Russia move into the vacuum.

It would be a gamble but in a situation where China's having an economic meltdown or some other crisis maybe not a bad one.

Reply to
bitrex

There are simpler ways to achieve equivalent benefits: use the same techniques the US has used for decades. Basically all you have to do is buy/lease land by direct or indirect means.

Examples are China in Sri Lanka and East Africa and (ISTR) the west coast of S America.

Some of them would welcome "The Rapture" to the extent they might try to encourage it to happen :( I hope they have no influence.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Far more influence than they deserve given their obvious pathologies and delusional thinking. Only thing these Evangelical whackjobs are good at is screwing things up and making America weak they're not even good at the rudiments of being Christian, and wouldn't know what the Bible has to say about it anyway as they've never read it.

Reply to
bitrex

I first came across them in ~1980 when I picked up a free copy of the Moody Family Magazine. The theme for that issue was how evil the EEC was because there was a Biblical prediction about 10 countries coming together. It was obvious they were straining to find a justification for a preconceived position. Much like denialists do today.

When they come and try to per^H^H^Hconvert me, I always find it fun to watch the fear in they eyes when I ask them if they will read out something from the Bible.

I once managed to get some (Plymouth?) brethren and their kids to vacate their street corner. All I did was discuss some choice verses from the Bible, with a lead-in so the kids could see the relevance to today. At the end the kids were craning forward to hear - before their elders hustled them off for reeducation.

And within the last year I've got a daughter to incredulously ask her mother "does the Bible really say that?". The mother couldn't answer without embarrassing herself :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner