OT - What's wrong with this country

I'm flipping through the PBS digital channels, looking for something interesting to watch.

On regular PBS, there's: Some sort of vegan cooking show, A quilting show, some new age psychologist trying to teach people how to get in touch with their 'inner self'. Then, I switch over to the PBS Spanish language show. They have: A program on an FAA crash investigation, one called Megastructures (design and engineering of skyscrapers), a program about the fishing industry.

It appears that we (the Yankees) are destined to become the holistic, artistic vegetarians in touch with their inner feelings while the immigrants will become the engineers, architects, manufacturers, and producers of the future.

This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Discover, History, ans similar channels have eaten into the science/ tech audience that used to view a lot of the good PBS shows.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Smart people find the info they need. Ex. Internet, library, Amazon, Youtube... They don't need to wait for the PBS broadcast.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

PBS seems to be politically or economically motivated. The college runs the stations here as their private bailiwick and the governor gets prime time billing. Then there's lots of "martha stewart" like pablum where the host is basically selling something.

Political Broadcasting System

Reply to
default

Ok fine, get them busy building nuclear power plants to supply our energy needs. Then while that's being done develop a battery with the efficiency we need for our autos. And vote out any politition that is supporting the stupid corn to ethenol idea. Feeling my wheaties this morn, Mike

Reply to
amdx

On another web forum dealing with youth soccer, I have been particiapting in a long debate about whether it is an acceptable practice for a team to withdraw from a tournament when they realize they have been scheduled against tough teams or when they no longer have a chance to advance, even though their withdrawal may have negative effects on the placement of other teams in the tournament. Surprisingly, there are a number of otherwise well-thought-of individuals supporting the voluntary withdrawal position.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Speak for yourself. I know lots of native-born guys, young and old, who are designing kick-ass electronics.

John

But smart broadcasters tailor their programming to fit their target audience. There may be smart people out there, but broadcasters figure that they are becoming a smaller portion of the American audience so as not to be worthy of programming. Not so of the Spanish speaking audience, it appears.

Our local PBS station moved the Nightly Business Report off to some useless time slot last year. They replaced it with some blow-hard talk show. Fortunately, enough people complained that they put it back. One of the few smart moves I've seen them make.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

Japanese Underwater Pyramids...

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On Feb 9, 11:31=EF=BF=BDpm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote= :

What's wrong with this country?

"I am not knowing", spoken with a slight Indian accent.....

Reply to
mpm

Some people actually figure things out despite a desert media enviroment.

Anyway, You have to consider that it has been shown (asfaik) that people are more likely to absorb the contents of spam (commercials) when the supposed interesting programming is intentionally dull. So there's a potential financial reward for dull programming. And many people will just get glued over some dull nonsense series.

Reply to
Sky465nm

Maybe this is a result of poor PBS...

Miss Teen USA 2007 South Carolina

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

WHY were you watching PBS? Can't you lock out their crap?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It seems there is more then 1 PBS English network feed, When I can get a signal from the small college station in Athens ohio, about 75 miles away, we get stuff like megastructures, a better edition of Masterpiece Theatre, more techie stuff and different, more interesting feeds of Nova, From the Akron stations, we get the Same BS that Cleveland transmits, about one hour delayed. On saturdays they have a different cooking show lineup between cleveland and akron, and Athens is still another lineup. Its maddening, I almost want to move to Athens for the better PBS. I've also seen better PBS in St Louis and Florida then what we get here.

Steve Roberts

S episodes of Nova

Reply to
osr

Our PBS station, KAET (ASU), is ranked one of the best in the US (carrying just about all the stuff from WGBH). The trick is that local PBS stations have to _pay_ for programming from the network, thus all the pledge drives. We have money out here in the desert ;-)

...Jim Thompson

ne

gram

You actually *PAY* for Weenie Vision? Next you're going to tell me=20 you listen to NPR too.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

There is substance of worth on PBS but, NO, I don't listen to NPR, unless I'm already nauseous and need a "boost" to get it out of my system ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Between Boeing Commercial and Microsoft, money shouldn't be a problem here. But seeing as how most of their stuff has gone overseas or to H-1B visa workers, its no wonder why all the programs on technology are in foreign languages.

E-mail returned to sender -- insufficient voltage.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

When I worked in CATV in Cincinnati, there were three PBS stations on the must carry list. Cincinnati, Dayton, and Oxford. I watched 'This Old House' the first season or two, until the Cincinnati PBS station ran commercials on regular TV stating that you were going to hell for not supporting PBS. The only PBS station around here is Ch 5 out of Gainsville. I have no idea what programs they carry.

BTW, My mother grew up in Akron, and went to 'Hower Vocational High School' for their Commercial art course.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm working in Akron, these days. All the television channels suck eggs. The "news" is laughable (more than most).

--
Keith
Reply to