OT: Well this is slightly eerie

Written in June

"Houston fears climate change will cause catastrophic flooding: 'It's not if, it's when"

lonmkusch

This event has nothing much to do with climate change as it has to do with normal weather patterns and poor city layout and infrastructure design.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

You forgot the most important item, 'a stalled weather front'

Martin Riddle

That is part of "normal weather patterns".

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I didn't say it did. I just thought it was a little coincidental this was written a couple months before a major hurricane. Nothing implied.

Reply to
lonmkusch

For perspective, how about this storm?:

This happened at the tail end of the Medieval Warm Period - certainly a climate change disaster.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Which has had an effect clear over here in AZ... dryer/hotter daytime temperatures. ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

not if, it's when"

esign.

Since the climate change part is the part being discussed, I'm going to pip e in here. I've heard a few random meteorologists while listening to the r adio and TV say something to the effect that Harvey, Katrina and Sandy were likely the way they were because of warming ocean temperatures, caused by climate change. But, you denier dumbasses know better than them.

Maybe I should come here for medical advice too since by the same logic mos t medical professionals are involved in a massive conspiracy to screw every one, too.

Reply to
lonmkusch

If you keep predicting weather disaster enough times, in enough places, eventually you'll be right somewhere.

The management of Houston should have known that if you keep paving over the high spots of bayou country, in a hurricane zone, bad stuff will happen in the low spots.

It didn't take climate change to flood Houston. In fact, hurricane frequency is way down lately. Houston has had hurricanes almost this wet in the past. The greatest natural disaster in US history was the great Galveston hurricane in September of 1900.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And "lonmkusch" references such reputable sources... like The Guardian... bwahahahahahahaha! ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

You don't need to be a British tabloid rag to be idiotic. The New York Times does it all the time.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

In a strongly chaotic system, you can blame everything on everything and always be right. Blame those damned butterflies.

Katrina wasn't even a particularly intense hurricane. Neither wind nor surge nor rain was unusual. What failed were pitifully designed and maintained levees on the Industrial Canal and the even worse 17th Street Canal... both canals being manmade structures.

They are somewhat better now.

Sandy wasn't unusual either. Only Cat2 whwn it hit the US. The great storm of 1938 exceeded 186 MPH, cat5 region.

Cheap Federal subsidized flood insurance put a lot of structures in Sandy's path.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The Boston Daily Record is second only to The National Enquirer... in my days at MIT we called it "The Daily RinkyDink" (which is how the kids hawking, with a Southy accent, "Get your Daily Record here" sounded like;-) ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Actually it won't.  What it's going to be is the end of the
Democrat Party... good riddance!

Sort of like Tim Wescott's "Thing Nyquist Didn't Say" there should probably be an article called "Things Chaos Theory Doesn't Say."

Reply to
bitrex

When prediction comes from computer models, 'predicting weather disaster' isn't a personal decision, it's a logical result. Yes, logic is evemtually going to be right. Also, persistantly going to be right. Also, usually going to be right. Lots of adjectives can go in that phrase...

Word-twisting isn't good enough to cover a rejection of logic and reason.

... about an unprecedented event? How? Computer models, you think? Weren't you counseling rejection of that kind of thing a moment ago?

Reply to
whit3rd

I hypothesize we actually live in a steady-state universe which is timeless, yet strongly chaotic. The reason we're around to see anything at all is because recently there was a massive quantum fluctuation which brought 15 billion light years worth of star-filled space into being out of nothing. Though statistically extremely unlikely, since the universe is timeless these events should happen an infinite number of times over the universe's "history" - nothing other than normal behavior for a steady-state universe.

Am I right? Am I wrong?

Reply to
bitrex

ot if, it's when"

gn.

Rising global temperatures mean that "normal" weather patterns don't mean w hat they used to.

A tropical cyclone isn't actually a normal weather pattern - they have alwa ys been a bit out of the ordinary.

The 1 degree Celcius temperature rise that we have had means that there is

6% more water vapour in the air over the oceans, which means that a "typica l" tropical cyclone has 6% more water vapour to play with than it used to.

The way cyclones work, this means that the weather system is going to harve st energy from a larger area of tropical ocean, so what comes assure will b e rather more than 6% more energetic than the cyclones we've seen before an d will have rather more than 6% more water to dump.

It's been known for a while that anthropogenic global warming won't lead to more hurricanes, rather the hurricanes that do form will be more energetic than they used to be.

Really intense hurricanes are tolerably infrequent, and tend to be devastin g when they do hit. Flood control and flood prevention are designed around once in 100 year or once in 1000 years events, but anthropogenic global war ming is changing the odds to make improbable extremes less improbable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That would be true of global warming regardless of the cause.

And in this event, I doubt that even a 25% decrease in the amount of rainfall would have improved the situation to something that would have "worked".

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

The article quotes a professor from TX A&M among others. Quite different from the shit you post where the only content originates from the highly opinionated writer. bwahahahahahahaha!

Reply to
lonmkusch

t's not if, it's when"

do

e design.

pipe in here. I've heard a few random meteorologists while listening to th e radio and TV say something to the effect that Harvey, Katrina and Sandy w ere likely the way they were because of warming ocean temperatures, caused by climate change. But, you denier dumbasses know better than them.

Weather is chaotic. You don't know exactly when something is going to happe n. Climate isn't - it's driven by thermodynamics. We keep explaining this to J ohn, but he's incapable of appreciating the distinction.

most medical professionals are involved in a massive conspiracy to screw ev eryone, too.

And the next big hurricane will tell us whether they are good enough.

Property developers love getting into politics, and using tax payer's money to encourage new property development.

The USA now has a property developer as president. Happily he's not all tha t expert at politics.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to