OT: Well and truly Kalifornicated

California is the only state in America that needs to advertise in europe for people to come to it to work and live. They need productive, tax- paying people to fund and shore up what is clearly (like Sweden) a disastrous social experiment gone badly wrong:

What they offer:

What you get:

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Where do you live?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Wondered how long it would take Larkin to chime in, "It's a wonderful day in our neighborhood..." >:-}

Let Californica go... it's self-destructive... we just don't want the "debris" to land in our states. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yep. California must be a really horrible place to live. Perhaps you can explain why California has had a fairly consistent positive population growth rate (about 1%) and constantly increasing population? If it was that bad, why do people continue to move to California?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

New York State also does such ads... they even advertise here in Arizona... truly hilarious to those of us who have done a lot of business travel regularly in upstate New York... it's a slum :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Uhhhh? Why do I consistently see moving company statistics showing more population exiting than entering?

I'd trust those numbers more than Californica-bureaucracy-generated hype. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Because Mexico is worse?

Reply to
tom

About 5,000 miles east of where you are.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I thought the Fox News clip covered that pretty comprehensively.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The first graph on population in the aforementioned web page is from the US Burro of Laborious Statistics. If you have a better source, I'm interested. Looks like the numbers do NOT include illegal, errr... undocumented aliens.

There have been a few large companies that have bailed out of California mostly because of high taxes and unfriendly government. Most of the companies moving out of California are small companies. The problem is that Calif style big government works well with big business, and not so well with small business. I know of one local company that moved out because it was cheaper to move than to pay the high taxes, frivolous lawsuit judgments, and high cost of housing. I guess such problems are more a feature of a successful economy than a collapsed economy.

What numbers? If you don't like my numbers, kindly provide your own.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, that should be the graph came from the US Census Burro, not the BLS.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Huh? The commentator who offered a few unsubstantiated inflammatory news bytes in the beginning or Fabio, who offered his observations as to the causes of California's problems? All they said was that the population was increasing with no explanations, theories or conspiracies. At 0:40 "California has more poverty and homelessness is completely out of control". Yeah, that's really informative. Fox and Fabio stated a few good reasons why companies are leaving, but didn't explain why the population is growing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think that was pretty clear from the context and didn't need spelling out: illegal immigration.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

For a free ride? ......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

[snip]

You provided the answer to the discrepancy in the count... moving companies would be primarily counting legals, illegals are unlikely to be using a moving van to enter ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Are you denying that homelessness is out of control in the LA basin? The LA Times... with only WaPo to their left, seem to see a BIG problem. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hmmm... maybe you are right. It costs about twice as much to rent a U-Haul 26ft truck one way from California to Texas, than it does the other direction: The article seems out of date on the median income numbers: Calif $63,636 Texas $56,473 Toss in cost of living and the income is about the same: Calif: Median household income: $64,500 Real income: $56,878 Texas: Median household income: $55,653 Real income: $57,493

I was wrong (again). I did some more reading and found that the US Census does include undocumented aliens in their counts: Are undocumented residents (aliens) in the 50 states included in the apportionment population counts? Yes, all people (citizens and noncitizens) with a usual residence in the 50 states are to be included in the census and thus in the apportionment counts.

Sigh. I guess since California gives illegal aliens drivers licenses, the next step would be to organize the Undocumented Party and give them the right to vote in California elections.

Your generation stole that from various authors and poets: Ovid, Chaucer, and Shakespeare followed suit, freely using 'green' to denote jealousy or envy.

My generation preferred to use "green" to mean "green backs", dollar bills, or S&H green stamps:

Keep California green, bring money.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Very true. I live in Santa Cruz County. Among the homeless, it's known as Santa Claus County.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Rhetorical questions: If no effort is being made to control the problem, can it really be "out of control"?

This article put the number of homeless in LA County at just under

29,000 in 2015. In 2017, it climbed to 49,000. So, LA spends more and more money on housing for the homeless, and gets more homeless for its troubles. I'll leave it to you to connect cause and effect.

In 2014, there were about 2,350,000 illegal aliens in California. I find it difficult to believe that only 29,000 (1.2%) were living in the LA area in 2014. One or both numbers are probably wrong.

The article suggests that it will cost $600 million/year to house the homeless. With the average "fixer-upper" selling for $0.5 million, that's 1,200 houses. Cram: 49,000 / 1,200 = 41 people into each house, and it can be made to work. Right.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's not my problem ;-) Numbers from the LA Times suggest it would "cost" $130K per single-family dwelling... which is just plain-assed stupid... $130K, around here, will buy you at least a very decent place to live... certainly not a mansion, but with essentials, kitchen, 2 baths, 3 bedrooms, etc.

There's certainly lots of barren land around LA AND around San Jose where they could be housed... but, with decent housing they might _turn_, and vote Republican >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature