OT: "We're Americas Natural Gas...." Blah, Blah, Blah...

You know, I'm actually starting to get annoyed at all these energy commercials on television. What? They think we're stupid?!

There's no point to this onslaught except, possibly, to gen up sympathy for the energy industry. Looks to me like they're spending their $4 Billion subsidy on TV commercials!

It's got so bad, everytime I hear the cello in the background audio track, all I can mouth are the words "We want your fuc^in money!"

Try it. It's almost cathartic. :)

/rant

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Yes, a schmaltzy string section or tinkly piano, often with a pretty girl in a sun dress in a field of flowers, is a key warning sign...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

They keep us warm, fed, transported, amused, and alive. I have a lot of sympathy for anybody who does that for me and only asks a 5% profit in return.

There are few things in civilization that work as well as the energy industry.

John

They pay their suppliers really well too.

Though I've heard times are a bit tough and they've had to lay off a more than a dozen senators.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Actually, it's the other way around. The Mother of the Universe first called Spirit into existence with the power of her desire, but the infant God was a shit-head, and immediately attacked her, giving us all of the pain and suffering we're seeing today. All the turmoil and upset we're seeing are happening because she's coming out of the coma that the original assault put her into (see Big Bang), and she is ***PISSED!!!!***

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ummm, right.

John

Yes, actually. Mustard gas is what's keeping a lot of people alive today. People in my family.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Humm, didn't know that. I stand corrected.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Follow the money.

They're buying influence at the network's/station's sales departments.

How many exposes on gas prices, pipeline leaks, or contaminated wells will their news departments do when the sales guys say "don't bite the hand that feeds us"? (And self censorship will probably make that unnessary). At a minimum, they'll get "balanced reporting".

How many times will drama shows use the energy industry as villains (like CSI did a month or two ago) if the producers hear at an affiliates convention that "some of our big advertisers are really unhappy about that story line."?

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

So fueling the industrial revolution, which for practical purposes has pushed average life expectancies up towards 80 years, is horrible. Interesting.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Yup, people who don't like energy companies should boycott them.

How's the real-estate cave market these days?

John

TV shows most all business people as fools or villains. Probably because mostly fools watch TV.

John

That's an interesting cause-and-effect argument. And proof for it?

Reply to
mpm

Warming up.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The main reason for longer lifespans is sanitation. Antibiotics is #2, vaccines possibly is #3.

All of those involve concrete and people in buildings with glass, metal, light, electricity, etc.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nutrition, too. Good, vitamin and protein-filled food helps fight disease. A lot of oil and energy is used to make fertilizers and insecticides, plow fields, harvest and refrigerate and transport stuff, things like that. Grapes and pineapples in February.

John

They are softening you up to believe that fracking the oil shales to get to natural gas will not fruck the ground drinking water supply. I don't know the answer to this one - I don't think anyone does for sure.

But there do seem to be plenty of examples of methane coming out of domestic taps in areas that have recently been fracked.... It could just be a coincidence I suppose.

They are about to try doing it in Morecombe Bay in the UK.

No doubt you believe Enron's mega scam never happened and that they didn't deliberately keep Californian power stations offline in summer to game the spot electricity market (to an extent that Alcan shutdown its aluminium plant to take advantage of not using their allocation of hydro electricity and flogging it on to Enron).

Alcan later became liable for EMPI debts to their supplier when Enron failed as described in their from 10-K

All the semicon plants and the rich their now have their own generating capacity for full load as a result of the rolling blackouts in 2000.

Hard to think of a more predatory market practitioner. Ironically some of what Enron was doing was actually good and innovative.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

article,

It's unlikely. Fracking usually happens thousands of feet below ground water, and the shale is pretty much impermeable.

But energy is inherently dangerous. Shale gas and oil have some risk.

Enron certainly did what maximized profit, following rules that moron politicians established.

John

our

And what brought the necessary wealth to pay for those things? Manna from heaven or increased productivity via the use of "machines" (capital development/investment) that all use or consumed energy?

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

They don't want *you* to use energy. There seems to be a strong strain of misanthropy in the so-called "eco-liberal/progressive" movement. Occasionally they'll slip and reveal what they actually want to do is decimate the population. Occasionally they'll slip and call humans something like a "cancer on the planet." But in the political realm they have oddly managed to call their opponents the haters. It is really upside-down.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie