OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent.?

A fascinating thing is happening on Wall Street.  GameStop stock has been p
ushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so.  It has taken
down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.

Apparently posters on reddit who are into gaming noticed that this stock wa
s being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin capital.  Th
ey used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock which has n
ow put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin capital.

It seems the Wall Street folks are a tad pissed about this.  It is supposed
 to work the other way around.

Anyhow, everyone knows the stock is going to collapse back down, but in the
 end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/gamestop-reddit-stock-sh
ares

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can s tay solvent.?
pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It has taken
down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin capital. T
hey used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock which has
now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin capital.

d to work the other way around.
he end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund.
shares

Isn't that a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face?  Well, mayb
e that's not the perfect analogy, but they are also going to hurt themselve
s if they hold onto the stock until it drops back down and they are going t
o hurt others who bought in if they sell now.  I guess if you work it like
Eddie Murphy in Trading Places you can play both sides and make it a win-wi
n for yourself and screw everyone else.  That's why such manipulation is il
legal.  I expect someone will go to jail.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can s tay solvent.?
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 6:56:30 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

n pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It has take
n down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
k was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin capital.
 They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock which ha
s now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin capita
l.
sed to work the other way around.
 the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund.
k-shares
be that's not the perfect analogy, but they are also going to hurt themselv
es if they hold onto the stock until it drops back down and they are going
to hurt others who bought in if they sell now. I guess if you work it like
Eddie Murphy in Trading Places you can play both sides and make it a win-wi
n for yourself and screw everyone else. That's why such manipulation is ill
egal. I expect someone will go to jail.

I have read that there was a 140% short interest in this stock.  That means
 that in some convoluted fashion there was a large naked short against this
 company.  Naked shorting is illegal, but apparently Wall street has way to
 naked short companies anyhow.

But , I am sure that there will be a much larger investigation into finding
 a retail investor who broke the law as opposed to figuring out how hedge f
unds are defacto naked shorting companies.

It is this massive over-shorting that provided an opportunity for an exploi
t (gaming term).  Reddit provided a forum to get thousands of people to buy
 position and they "promised" to hold their position.  If you can get enoug
h people to purchase and not sell then those naked shorts start to really r
un away (in the wrong direction),  This is happening and it is really inter
esting.

In the end, sure, the price will come back down, but the manipulators got b
eaten at the game of manipulation and it is quite a beautiful thing to beho
ld.

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent.”
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 04:07:18 -0800 (PST), Brent Locher

A millon gamers could lose $20 each, just for the fun of it.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can s tay solvent.?
onsdag den 27. januar 2021 kl. 17.00.22 UTC+1 skrev jla...@highlandsniptech
nology.com:
:
been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It has t
aken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
tock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin capit
al. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock which
 has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin cap
ital.
pposed to work the other way around.
 in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund.

tock-shares
[...]

sound like cheap entertainment :)

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent.?

All kinds of cheap entertainment to be had these days with a computer
and a lil know-how:

<https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7vq9k/youre-scared-now-watch-parler-videos-posted-by-rioters-inside-the-capitol?fbclid=IwAR2efkuWA0rbCDglK4tp7kXUzU4gU9ZAjQYPuCfNhF8nUyRuKo0uzRRPKxo

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:

 >> A millon gamers could lose $20 each, just for the fun of it.

There will be a sequel with much better actors. The total yearly
production of silver is ~1e9 Troy ounces and an ounce nowadays costs
26USD, give or take. The same ballpark. Retail silver trading has
effectively been suspended, for instance: https://www.apmex.com/

"Due to unprecedented demand on physical silver products, we are unable
to accept any additional orders on a large number of products, until
global markets open Sunday evening."

And this is the outcome of the first weekend alone. Same message almost
everywhere else. Certainly gonna enjoy a lot more cheap entertainment. :)

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 08:00:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

And now NOK.

This is like crowd-sourced pump 'n dump and I expect it will end in
tears once the algorithms are adjusted to take advantage. There are
layers of stuff going on. "4chan found a Bloomberg Terminal"

But it's a lot more than $20 million involved, if you look at the
volumes of actual stock changing hands. Not to mention the
derivatives.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 13:07:09 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Greed and fear in an underdamped system. A small tax on all financial
transactions would kill the Q hard.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 1:33:46 PM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptech
te:
s been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It has
 taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
 stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin cap
ital. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock whi
ch has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin c
apital.
supposed to work the other way around.
ut in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund
.
-stock-shares
[...]

They already have that.  Perhaps you have a different definition of "small"
.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

No doubt Democrats and Republicans will come together in unity to make
sure nothing like this ever happens again. A bunch of gamer dorks taking
down a hedge fund? and making money for themselves in the process? The
bipartisan legislation will be passed so quickly your head will spin. If
Congress worked that fast with respect to Covid-19 it would have been
over in two months.

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

te:
 been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It has
taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin capi
tal. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock whic
h has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin ca
pital.
upposed to work the other way around.
t in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fund.

stock-shares
[...]

afaict they are already trying to spin it as "hacking", and we all know tha
t politicians
generally don't understand technology so all they hear is evil, illegal, "s
tuff"
done by young people on the internet

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

rote:
as been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It ha
s taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
s stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin ca
pital. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock wh
ich has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvin
capital.
 supposed to work the other way around.
but in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge fun
d.
t-stock-shares
[...]

hat politicians
"stuff"

The website that hosted this chat group has been erased from the internet.
 I honestly do not see how people cannot see which side of the political sp
ectrum  is shutting down free speech.

Another entity banned for essentially making fools of the establishment.

The Occupy Wall Street people should be cheering in the streets over this..

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

A lot of them are!

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

I mean they're not literally in the streets but none of the ones I'm
acquainted with it are DEMANDING JOE BIDEN DO SOMETHING

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."
:
om
 has been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. It
has taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
his stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvin
capital. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestock
which has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Melvi
n capital.
is supposed to work the other way around.
, but in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge f
und.
dit-stock-shares
[...]

ing
 If

 that politicians
, "stuff"
. I honestly do not see how people cannot see which side of the political s
pectrum is shutting down free speech.

I think when it is illegal activity, that would be both sides, although for
 one side it depends on who it benefits more than if it is illegal.

Indeed.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 11:56:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.co

te:
.com
ck has been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so. I
t has taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
 this stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Melvi
n capital. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamestoc
k which has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed Mel
vin capital.
t is supposed to work the other way around.
wn, but in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hedge
 fund.
eddit-stock-shares
[...]
in
re

ake
aking
The
n. If
en
ow that politicians
al, "stuff"
et. I honestly do not see how people cannot see which side of the political
 spectrum is shutting down free speech.
or one side it depends on who it benefits more than if it is illegal.
.
is......

I never thought I would be aligned with OWS - hahaha.  Anyhow this is up an
other 150$ premarket. There is obviously a massive option/derivatives/short
ing house of cards that the hedge funds built around this company and the g
amers who bought the stock were just a gust of wind that blew it down.  The
 regular people are getting shut out of this stock in various ways (say hoo
rah to freedom) and yet the craziness is still persisting.

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

rote:
gy.com
tock has been pushed to astronomical heights over just the last week or so.
 It has taken down a hedge fund that had overly shorted it.
at this stock was being shorted by a crazy amount by a hedgefund called Mel
vin capital. They used reddit to mount a coordinated buying spree on Gamest
ock which has now put the stock to astronomical heights and has collapsed M
elvin capital.
 It is supposed to work the other way around.
down, but in the end a bunch of internet gamers collapsed a wall street hed
ge fund.
-reddit-stock-shares
[...]

d in
 are
he
 make
 taking
? The
pin. If
been
know that politicians
egal, "stuff"
rnet. I honestly do not see how people cannot see which side of the politic
al spectrum is shutting down free speech.
 for one side it depends on who it benefits more than if it is illegal.
nt.
this......
nother 150$ premarket. There is obviously a massive option/derivatives/shor
ting house of cards that the hedge funds built around this company and the
gamers who bought the stock were just a gust of wind that blew it down. The
 regular people are getting shut out of this stock in various ways (say hoo
rah to freedom) and yet the craziness is still persisting.

These self-inflicted bag-holders will get burn.  They are taking advantage
of the house rules, but the house can change the rules.  GME will be back t
o around $20 by the end of tomorrow, i predict.

Re: OT: "We can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent."

Half-million people dead to save the market, which is cleaerly currently
built on such solid foundations a group of Reddit day-traders is now
using the same system to blow a billion-dollar hedge fund out of the
water thousands of people involuntarily died to save.

Anyway probably nothing, y'know, fundamentally wrong with our economy at
the moment.

[...]

I heard that the online trading 'apps/companies' have stopped the sale of s
ome stocks to the general public.
Ouch!
This smells like twitter/facebook/youtube banning people.
Big brother isn't the government, it's business.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gamestop-trading-restrictions-blamed-on-wall-s
treets-clearing-firm-by-online-broker-11611867105

GH