OT: US is a Weird Place to Live

I was not aware that you can be born in a US territory and not be eligible to run for President because you are not a US citizen. Really? I thought all territories were part of the US and being born there made you a citizen?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Google is your friend. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame the most productive members of our society for their failures?

I guess his answer was "no".

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

All those friggin laws are arbitrary. You make it sound like Moses handed them down to us or something. Get a grip!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

orn

Nor do people in the territories have equal representation in US government. Wasn't the original problem that led to the creation of the USA something about taxation without representation?

How was that different than what exists currently is US territories?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

What we have now is giveaways without representation, not taxation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's the part that is a problem, that they aren't consistent. Isn't the law supposed to be the same for everyone? Like Puerto Rico being singled out in the bankruptcy law so it's not available to them. Why? No one knows.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Most people in PR do not pay US income tax.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

born

You might want to read this (Commonwealth Tax section) if you think the folks in PR are getting a free ride:

John

Reply to
John Robertson

A tax imposed on people by their elected representatives is not "taxation without representation." It's just like a state income or property tax.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How do you figure that? They have a U.S. Bankruptcy District designation and court there.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The MSM up to their old tricks again. They just stated (on several different networks) that the doctrine of 'the best defence against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun' achieved nothing to protect all the concert-goers. They conveniently forgot to mention that all attendees were thoroughly searched for guns and bombs upon entry and none were allowed in, so they made the place in effect a 'gun free zone' and it is for *that* reason and that alone, that the shooter was able to spray hundreds of rounds off into the crowd with no fear of retaliation. If you get your news from Nothing But Crap, Anything But Correct or the Clinton News Network you would never know that, because they've twisted the reports around to support their disarmament agenda. *Bastards!*

Cursitor Doom

Elevated/concealed position 32 stories up in a high rise firing down on a crowd with a large magazine rifle, possibly also wearing body armor? What you think some civilians pop-popping at him with handguns with whatever the legal capacity magazine is will accomplish?

Under stress a non-military/LEO but otherwise good handgun shot who doesn't train regularly would probably struggle to get a group under half a foot wide on a target at 25 yards on level ground, much less firing upwards at 5 times that range. I give you a pass cuz you're in the UK though, probably never fired a gun before.

Reply to
bitrex

Singled out? Good grief! Why should PR be allowed to file for bankruptcy when no state can, either (though IL and CT will likely try soon)?

Reply to
krw

Hell, half the people in the US do not pay US income tax.

Reply to
krw

born

Soon to be reduced further if larger child tax credits is part of the new tax plan. Tax credits to the poor, tax cuts to the rich, and let our creditors beware.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Wait! Wait! I have an idea!

Cut spending.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes, they have a court, but the bankruptcy law doesn't apply to the territory itself.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

ing born

the

Genius!

We're spending about $4 trillion on revenue of $3.3 trillion, so it's eithe r cut spending 18% or raise total taxes 21%. Raising the personal income tax ~+50% would do it, too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Handguns? Hell, you could have had AR-15 rifles and you would not have had much of a chance to prevent much of the damage. But had all the bellboys been armed they could have stormed the room. So forget about the teachers, arm the bellboys!