OT: Universal Remotes & Projection TV's

OT: Universal Remotes & Projection TV's...

Our 18 year-old rear projection TV (55" Letter-box) has finally failed... or not quite... the blue sweep only, dips dramatically in the upper middle of the screen making for some garish looking pictures... particularly on old B&W Hitchcock re-runs (playing here w/o commercials ;-)

So I bought a 55" LCD (LED-backlit) at 1/4 the price of the original.

So the first perennial question: Is there a truly universal remote available that actually works easily, in a darkened room?

Second question: The new set weighs 40#, the old one is so heavy I can barely lift one end. I had visions of throwing it on my pick-up truck and taking it to this weekend's hazardous waste at the local park. But I'd need a couple of moving-company-strength assistants.

Anyone here in Arizona want it?

If not I'll bust it up and dispose in liftable chunks. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

or

f the

ilable

We just got (from Freecycle) a two-year-old RCA LCD set that does NOT accept ANY of the codes the "universal" remote from our cable company. Apparently the set uses a *new* IR protocol that isn't backward-compatible with the old ones.

Sigh.

I guess that means another generation of "universal" remotes...

rely

ing it

uple of

Parts is parts, Jim. There's all sorts of fun optical and electromechanical gizmos in there that may come in handy during prototyping...

(groups trimmed)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Post it on Freecycle, or the free section of Craig's List.

Michael A. Terrell

I think that style has the Fresnel lens on the front, You could probably get $100 for the lens on Ebay. My son had a solar energy project at school, I let him take a large Fresnel lens in a frame, his teacher shut him down when he started melting pennies. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I haven't dismantled it yet, but the cabinet shape would indicate a big ass mirror in the back. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You posted everywhere except sci.electronics.repair, which is the place to ask. Give them the model and they'll usually zero-in on it.

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The universal remote portion of my post seems to have gone astray.

What experience have any of you had with universal remotes?

All I need is Cable Box (Cox), Philips 55PFL4706 TV, and DVD/BlueRay.

Anyone with experience with the URC A6...

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I noticed it. Have you un-whitelisted me again, or what?

All the remotes my cable company (Comcast/Xfinity) provide are incapable of operating my 2-yr old RCA flatscreen. According to the "actual" manufacturer, the set uses a "new" IR protocol. No bacward- compatibility.

This may be becoming more common with makers of other devices like Blu-rays etc. Sigh. If I were you I'd check with Cox, Philips, etc. to see if they also are moving to new IR code formats.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

my experience is that universal remotes do not function well with other than TVs. you don't get all the functions on CD players,etc.,just the basic functions,and perhaps no menu access.

you can download the latest codes for GE universal remotes,to see if they have the codes for your units.

Wal-Mart has a GE universal remote for $5,and the Logitech super deluxe remote for a LOT more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

The original universal remotes with an IR receiver could mimic any code you sent to them, but people couldn't rise to that challenge so we got "standard" codes that never include all the functions of your device's remote.

But there are these:

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The URC's are good, they can be hacked, and they even have macro keys.

I have a RCA universal remote , and it talks to all the boxes I have.

Think I paid more than $3 ;(

Martin Riddle

ou

snip

except B&O they use(used?) a 455kHz carrier, guess someone got the idea to use a filter they already had in stock

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

The remote that Cox provides is fairly robust. The only issue is the programming guide for it is kind of thin.

However there are a number of codes for devices that aren't in the book.

For example when we got cable re-installed the remote wouldn't work with the TV. I looked at similar codes for common sets an jus one offed for a bit until I found one that worked.