OT: Thrill up leg

Looks like the thrill up Chris Matthews leg turned out to be a scorpion....

(Scorpion up pants leg actually happened to me one time... NOT a pleasant event :-( ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Do you get many inside your home there?

Reply to
Robert Macy

[snip]

Occasionally. In cold weather they try to come inside. They're hard to kill with ordinary insecticides, but their primary food is crickets, so you kill all the crickets and the scorpions move next door ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Having the right predators around makes short work of them too.

They are also highly visible with the right tool.

I've seen them picked up by the tail with long tongs.

*Really* long.
JeffM

.

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Great! crickets! got a "neighbor from hell" who insisted on raising chickens [including the rooster crowing!] He fed them with crickets and those crickets are everywhere now [luckily the rooster crowing at

4:30am came under the jurisdiction of Maricopa County Sound ordinances so the Sheriff's Deputy 'talked' to the neighbor around 4:45am, now the chickens are gone]

Back to insectiicides: found Black Flag $2.92 at Walmart makes short shrift of them. But, you are right they become very animated in their death throes. And I ended up chasing after it to keep applying more, took a good four foot run. After using Raid's new Bug Barrier around openings, any critter I find now appears completely dazed and confused to start with, so they must be on the way out anyway.

Before Bug Barrier, at first, in complete desperation I tried spraying one of our cleaning compounds, Unicide, on the scorpion [quaternary sanitizing compound from Brulins used to sanitize veterinary/hospitals/ etc doesn't hurt people and biodegrades quickly, but it is equivalent to bleach for bacteria/virus killing power] The Unicide we use comes as Unicide 256 and you cut it 256:1 1 oz makes equivalent of 1 gallon of bleach killing power. Well, we tend to use it cut more like 20 or

30:1 so it's pretty 'soapy' in consisitency. Spray THAT on a scorpion and it freezes where it's at and is dead in 5 seconds. Yet, you can use it [carefully] around pets and food. Must be the soapy action smothers the arachnid I know spiders instantly appear to die. Plus, there's a residual action any bug crawls through the residue they don't seem to last long.

Is there any medical application for modified versions of scorpion venom? Being as powerful and long lasting, seems should have some kind of use.

Reply to
Robert Macy

[snip]

My sons, when in their teens, used to go out with a black-light and a BernzOmatic torch... scorpions glow under black-light ;-) ...Jim Thompson